Brake booster swap

-

Torrance00

Reaction score
Hi all
Well my brake booster went out (again) the other day..
the vedor does not have any...
has anyone done a swap from another car .
74 Dart...
this is the second time one has gone out.. and it took them like 3 weeks
last time to get one...
maybe a swap from a crown vic
Best

First, you could just switch to manual brakes. Many here find them fine, if you use a 15/16 or 7/8"D MC.

Search for my post (or just look at my avatar). In my 65 Dart (original non-power brakes), I put a booster & MC from a 95-99 Breeze on 74 Dart brackets. It clears the Wiend valve covers on my 273 engine (barely), so even more clearance w/ factory covers. Many cars would work, the Breeze was just sitting there in the junkyard in a row of cloud cars, had ports on the correct side, and keeps it Mopar. ABS cars are best (2 port MC) and before 2000 when most changed to "bubble flare" ports, though you can form those w/ your dbl flare tool (youtube).

My Breeze MC has 7/8"D bore, which makes the pedal real easy, but still minimal travel. It is almost too easy with my current 10" drum brakes, but will be perfect if I switch to front disks. I also plumbed an adjustable prop valve for disks.

So what your saying is that a 99 breeze brake booster should fit the firewall
braket on the 74 Dart...
I have front discs so can I still use my MC?
I"m off to the wreaking yard this morning for parts for another project
so can make a swing through the C\D rows...
Best

So what your saying is that a 99 breeze brake booster should fit the firewall
braket on the 74 Dart...
Did for me, after a little rat-tail filing of the holes (need slightly wider). I can't recall exactly how I connected the rod from the booster to the lever on the 74 Dart brackets. I also put nuts on both sides of the booster studs to allow axial adjustment (also an adjuster on tip of booster rod to MC). I might have added a washer or cut a piece of tubing to act as a bushing if the booster's hole was larger. Probably not required since the force is in only one direction anyway.

You can't bolt your 4-bolt MC to the Breeze booster (2-bolt), unless perhaps you used a "2 to 4 bolt adapter" in reverse. Why bother? Most people prefer a 2-bolt aluminum MC (why they make the adapter). It is already on the Breeze booster (or new MC is cheap). As I said, an MC from an ABS car will have just the 2 ports you need. You probably need new brake tubes to the "combo valve", since the Dart's tube nuts differ, but I expect you would anyway when going to any power brake setup (need longer tubes).

-
Back