Brake Booster?

-

Hell_Fish

Reaction score
I was looking for brake boosters on line and found there are kits that use the 2 bolt master cylinder on a booster that is the right size from the 65. My question, what is this off of. Or a better question, what late model booster will fit the 65 bracket and is the correct size? 2 bolt MC preferred, but 4 bolt is fine too.

Dustin, I'm 6 mo. into a complete resto. of an orig. owner '65 GT. Last summer before I even took ownership of the car, I jumped ahead and bought a complete rotor system off of e-bay from a parted '65 Baracuda in KY for about $350. and all my mopar cronies said I got the deal of the century. Then the news came from the San Jose Brake Exchange who rebuilt the calipers and got me all set up that I had to find the 'correct' booster for the tandem master if the disc front-rotor/rear drum were to grip proper. Seemed simple. Well three months and twenty + new Mopar buddies later I finally found the perfect (NOS) booster. There are a couple different setups out there and they all must have the gooseneck bracket that sets the booster up and away from the hood spring bars. In my case, I found out that several boosters (for drums all around) wouldn't have enough air capacity to push out psi's for the rotor setup to work right. My can looks like an 8" dia. by 6" long (guessing) tea kettle while what your looking for is more along the 5" dia. by 5" long large baked beans can size. It sounds silly but if you go through what I've been through you'll know when you have the right setup. Don't get suckered into the high priced e-bay clown new stuff, look hard. Good luck.

dustin i just did a complete brake job on my 64 dart gt,everything from master cly. to drums. it still doesn't stop great. have looked for a booster and storage tank like on your 65 i hate to spend any more converting to disc.do you know the web site where i might get a booster andstorage tank? thanks hotrodderfirst5

If your doing a original resto of a 65 disk car, they used the single cylinder M/C with an additional extension on top of the reservoir. I had my original drum booster car years ago and it MIGHT have had an offset booster to make it clear the exhaust manifold. It offset it about 3 inches over the brake pushrod. Its been many years if I remember correctly at all.

-
Back