Brake drum wont fit over shoes

-

Renegade

Reaction score
I just swapped shoes/springs/cables, on my rear 10" drum brakes (67 barracuda). There were a bunch of parts missing, including the parking brake cable, and I think i hooked everything up right, but let me know if i didnt... Now, the drum wont fit over the shoes without the self adjusting screw being completely tight. Did the wheel cylinder just expand?
Thanks
Josh
000_0179.jpg

notice the top of the primary shoe is off the anchor pin. It should push back in with a little effort. It looks like the emergency brake is on though!

Your hydraulic piston (slave cylinder) looks fully extended. Force the top of the shoes together and push some of that fluid back up the line.

Ok, yeah I was thinking it didn't look seated correctly.... I was trying to push the two shoes together but they didnt really budge, ill try again.

Thanks for the replies... i had a hell of a time replacing this crap.

O yeah and the e-brake is not on.... I the equilizer is also fully extended too... i dont know what gives???

Ok, yeah I was thinking it didn't look seated correctly.... I was trying to push the two shoes together but they didnt really budge, ill try again.

Thanks for the replies... i had a hell of a time replacing this crap.

There are landings on the backing plate, make sure the shoe hasn't gone beyond the landing plate, or seating area where the shoe rests against the backing plate. That may keep you from seating that primary shoe.

you are missing the anchor plate that fits over the anchor pin. The ebrake spreader (bar) looks to be the wrong one. Your brakes are 10" maybe its an 11" bar. I can measure a 10" on Friday for you. attached is a pict of what it should look like.

All of the replys are correct. Here are some other suggestions. Make sure the wheel cylinder is not frozen. I have seen where one side is good and the other side wont move. Also they make two different width shoes. 2 inch and 2 1/2 inch shoes. Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks for those photos. Yeah I think I got it figured out, the parking brake cable was too short...

Release the arm holding the master cyl.(releave pressure)push the shoes together and back off your adjuster fully.Hope this helps.

Look real close at swing69s pictures, particularly the middle one. Looking at your picture, it seems that the brake shoes are caught in the little trough just inside of the backing plate. Take a screwdriver to the left hand shoe in your picture and try to pry it out of the trough (towards the axle). See if that doesn't close the gap in the parking brake strut and the top of shoe.

It looks like the parking brake is partially applied , either misadjusted or theres a frozen cable .

This and the other things that were pointed out.

All of the replys are correct. Here are some other suggestions. Make sure the wheel cylinder is not frozen. I have seen where one side is good and the other side wont move. Also they make two different width shoes. 2 inch and 2 1/2 inch shoes. Hope this helps.

just so you know , if he has stock a body rear brakes the shoes are only 1 3/4 wide , the 2 and 2 1/2 are B , E and C body sizes

-
Back