brake light on

-

ecurb

Reaction score
just up graded my 68 fish to the 73 disc set up and proportioning valve (PV). a friend of mine said the brake light is on probably because the needle in the PV moving to the rear brakes due to starting the bleeding process with the furthest rear brake and pushing the brake pedal to hard/fast and causing the needle in the PV to move towards the rear.

he said you should try to bleed a front disc hard/fast to get the needle back over then start the bleeding process over. this time pushing on the brake pedal slowly and letting it come back naturally.

hope this makes sense to somebody. thanks as always bruce

A lot of times giving the pedal a good stomp re centers it also.

the brake light switch at the brake pedal ( 2 wires go to it moujnted at pedal and steering colum under the dash), that is what actuates the brake lights, if pedal isn't going all the way up, like trailbeast said, pump pedal hard and bleed the brakes fully. spray the switch with penetrant, many times they ate sticking. hope this helps.

When this happened to me after bleeding brakes, I adjusted the brake switch bracket a tiny bit at the pedal which fixed it...

I thought he was talking about the warning light being on caused by an off center prop valve.
From what the first post says...

I'm not sure but does the parking brake turn the red light on also? I never use mine so I can't remember :) If yes, then it might be something else to check.

I had this prob last year with the switch, so I put a heavier return spring on the pedal to bring it back all the way to the switch. My brake lights kept staying on and burning the fuse

As post #5 says, this is getting confusing. Half the people (and OP) are talking about the "imbalance warning switch" inside the "combination valve", which lights a dash warning lamp. The others are talking about the pedal switch which lights the rear brake lights.

As post #5 says, this is getting confusing. Half the people (and OP) are talking about the "imbalance warning switch" inside the "combination valve", which lights a dash warning lamp. The others are talking about the pedal switch which lights the rear brake lights.

Yep.

-
Back