Brake Light Switch

-

64drtGt

Slant Six Lunatic
Reaction score
I'm needing a brake like switch and turn signal switch for my dart I know I can get the turn signal switch from SSD but where can I find a brake like switch? I know its a simple one wire setup but im assuming the bracket could be diffrent? Can I just grab one for a newer a body or what?

I'm not sure what the availability of a brake switch, but they have TWO wires not one.

Mine is just a single wire in single wire out I think it has been a few months since I looked lol. Is that what your talking about or am I just forgetful and it has one wire in two out?

Mine is just a single wire in single wire out I think it has been a few months since I looked lol. Is that what your talking about or am I just forgetful and it has one wire in two out?

Two me, one in, one out is two wires. I was thinking maybe one of the spade connectors had broke off yours, and might not be noticed.

Brake light switch for your '64 is still an off-the-shelf part from any auto parts store. Standard #SLS-147 or NAPA Echlin SL-778. The rear terminal is a 1/4" spade instead of the round bullet/barrel type used originally through '65, so you'll need to install a female 1/4" spade on the end of the wire. Very easy. Re-use your original switch bracket; use big pliers to crunch and remove the original switch from it; the new switch comes with a retainer sleeve. Adjust the switch so it turns the brake lights off reliably no matter how quickly or gently you let off the brake pedal, but do not try to use the switch as the up-stop for the pedal, or you'll beat the new switch to death in a hurry.

-
Back