Brake Light Switch?

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
I noticed recently that my brake lights would come on when the car was parked. I assume it's the brake light switch and have pulled the pedal up to engage it but it inevitable happens again. I ordered a new switch over the weekend but was wondering if it might be the pedal. I haven't looked at the pedal workings but was wondering if a spring might be the culprit/ Does the pedal have a spring to keep it tight against the switch?

There is no spring. On my 69 Barracuda the switch fits into a bracket

Thanks. I noticed that there is play in the pedal that allows me to pull it toward me to better engage the switch. I'm wondering if it should always come back up fully and if it isn't, like in my case, is there a spring somewhere in the mechanism that needs replacing.

No spring, and my master cylinder doesnt have more than 7k on it. After a 2 new batteries NAPA warranteed, I disconnect the terminal while figure out the best spring solution.

Right. My pedal can be moved about an inch up, but you shouldn't mess with the pedal. See how the pedal is contacting the switch then maybe bend the bracket slightly or maybe there is an adjustment at the switch

Okay, thanks. I see the switch has a relatively long thread area so it can be adjusted to a degree. I disconnected the terminal when I parked it the other day. I thought my charger was malfunctioning, I'd charge it in the evening and turn it off when I went to bed and try it the next day .....always dead. The brake light must have been coming on randomly during the night.

The only spring is the one inside the master cylinder. That should be enough to push the pedal back. The light switch should be adjustable. Unless it's been modified, on a '69 it should be adjustable where the switch bolts to the bracket above the steering column. You slide it back/forth until the brake lights work properly. The screw holding the switch to the bracket is a PITA to get to. (Hopefully you are not too old like me and can get up under that dash without hurting yourself!)

Depending on what car this is, you may have the wrong switch in it. Chryslers switch didn't have a long threaded barrel and jamb nut(s) to adjust it like other brands have. Chrysler affixed the switch to the bracket and adjusted that brackets position. A previous owner may have substituted the a different switch. We've seen that before. Either or... it works until it don't. Switches wear, bushings wear, adjustment or replacement req'd.

I po
The only spring is the one inside the master cylinder. That should be enough to push the pedal back. The light switch should be adjustable. Unless it's been modified, on a '69 it should be adjustable where the switch bolts to the bracket above the steering column. You slide it back/forth until the brake lights work properly. The screw holding the switch to the bracket is a PITA to get to. (Hopefully you are not too old like me and can get up under that dash without hurting yourself!)
Poked my head under there and thought the same thing......"this would have been easier 20 years ago".

Depending on what car this is, you may have the wrong switch in it. Chryslers switch didn't have a long threaded barrel and jamb nut(s) to adjust it like other brands have. Chrysler affixed the switch to the bracket and adjusted that brackets position. A previous owner may have substituted the a different switch. We've seen that before. Either or... it works until it don't. Switches wear, bushings wear, adjustment or replacement req'd.
I ordered the replacement from Rock, we'll see how it goes.

-
Back