Brake lights stay on, off when pedal pushed.

-

KIII

Reaction score
I have a 73 Dart Sport with a 318. All the lights and blinkers work properly.My brake lights stayed on , I thought the brake switch was bad so I bought a new one. Same thing, brake lights stay on and when I push the pedal, the brake lights go out. Any input? Thanks.

Switch may be out of adjustment. You should be able to adjust the switch so that when you let off on the brake pedal the switch will push in and close off the circuit and the lights should go out.

Does it have two wires running to it?
If so try switching the wires around.

I think it just has one wire and the switch housing grounds to the brake pedal support - very much like the dome light/buzzer switch in the doors (plunger style).

I think it just has one wire and the switch housing grounds to the brake pedal support - very much like the dome light/buzzer switch in the doors (plunger style).
your grounds are funky man. somewhere in your system, you have a bad ground which is causing your brakelights to ground out

A correction may be in order from me. I just took a look at my '74 wiring diagram and see that the stoplight switch, in fact, appears to have two wires - one pink and one white.

Make sure your switch is adjusted so that it is fully depressed when the brake pedal is relaxed and in the up position. Then make sure the switch's plunger extends when the pedal is pushed down.

A correction may be in order from me. I just took a look at my '74 wiring diagram and see that the stoplight switch, in fact, appears to have two wires - one pink and one white.

Make sure your switch is adjusted so that it is fully depressed when the brake pedal is relaxed and in the up position. Then make sure the switch's plunger extends when the pedal is pushed down.

^^^THIS^^^ Pretty much if the brake lights stick on, the switch is the trouble.

Okay, Im gonna go check the adjustment. DARTT, the grounds are my next move. My son threw away the old switch(I didnt look at it) so I cant tell if correct switch. Is there a switch that mounts in front the brake pedal? so if you depress the pedal, thus, releasing the plunger on the switch it would work, right? SIRELAND67, I did switch, same outcome. Thanks again fella's.

^^^THIS^^^ Pretty much if the brake lights stick on, the switch is the trouble.

This is pretty much not true, well it is most of the time it is but you could have a bad master cylinder.

If after you step on the brakes you can pull your pedal up then you need to replace or rebuild your master cylinder.

I chose to replace mine after this was happening to me and the problem went away.

A bad switch would cause the lights to not come on. A maladjusted or broken switch would generally cause them to not turn off.

If after stepping on the brakes you have to put your foot under the pedal to lift it to get the light to turn off, replace your master cylinder.

Is there a switch that mounts in front the brake pedal? so if you depress the pedal, thus, releasing the plunger on the switch it would work, right?

Exactly... the switch is mounted on the pedal support, and by loosening the nut, you can slide it forwards and backwards, until the plunger is depressed when the pedal is relaxed, then tighten the nut. It works just like the plunger switch in the door. Door closed - plunger is depressed... door open - plunger extends completing the circuit and light comes on.

I did switch, same outcome.

With this type of plunger switch, it wouldn't matter - it doesn't require positive and negative polarity. It simply makes contact internally to complete the circuit.

Where did you get this replacement switch? I'll try to post a picture of an original one tomorrow so you can compare them.

Well I guess I should read your problem more closely.

I am not sure about the 73 but if it the same as most of the switches I have seen, when you depress the brakes the pedal should be moving away from the switch.

Is this what you have ?
Are your testing with the lights on or off or does it matter ?
Do your turn signals work? you said yes.
Make sure your emergency flasher is turned off?

Post a pic of your current adjustment.
I can take one in the morning of mine to compare.

Man, I need to become more computer savvy before I start asking all these questions. 74 SPORT, I should be the one posting the pics. TRAPSTER, I think maybe it was hooked up wrong before(just got car a month ago) It was reverse of what you said. I have it hooked up where it is now moving away from the pedal and all is good! Thanks gents. I'll have my son post some pics of our 1973 Dart Sport H code w/ build sheet, its pretty cool.

-
Back