BRAKE LIGHTS

-

Mack F-700

Reaction score
Any suggestions on why brake lights don’t work? It’s a new switch (74 Dart)

Yup
New switch, is there power to that?
I'd start there

"Follow the path". Power from the fuse panel the switch should have power all the time. White wire is output is live with pedal depressed, that goes up to the column turn signal switch connector and into the turn signal switch. The switch routes power to both lamps with switch centered, and to the "not flashing" lamp in a turn.

Do the two signals work, left and right? have you checked for power out of the switch?

Check the brake wire right at the column switch connector ON BOTH SIDES of the connector

Wiggle the hazard switch, turn it on/ off a couple of times and wiggle again. That is a known failure

Last edited:
Take your meter or test light and see if there's power at the switch.

"Follow the path". Power from the fuse panel the switch should have power all the time. White wire is output is live with pedal depressed, that goes up to the column turn signal switch connector and into the turn signal switch. The switch routes power to both lamps with switch centered, and to the "not flashing" lamp in a turn.

Do the two signals work, left and right? have you checked for power out of the switch?

Check the brake wire right at the column switch connector ON BOTH SIDES of the connector

Wiggle the hazard switch, turn it on/ off a couple of times and wiggle again. That is a known failure

I have turn signals. I didn’t think to try 4 ways till now, and they don’t work either.

In that case the problem may be in the rear harness/ lights themselves

I would start with the lamps, are the bulbs actually good, are they the correct numbers, and are the sockets grounded. Other troubles include pinched harness under the rear seat, bad connections at the kick panel harness connector. You can also check the outputs from the turn signal switch going out to the rear

-
Back