Brake lines

-

73Duster6

Reaction score
I picked up a 71 Dart /6 a couple of weeks ago. It hasn't been on the road since 2004. It does run and drive but the brakes are really bad, the fluid in the M/C was brown and nasty. It's a manual all drum brake car that I'm going to keep for now. I all ready bought the M/C and W/Cs and rubber lines. I removed the M/C with no problems but the hard line connections I am having problems with even after serval apps. of penetrating spray. buying some lines is no problem but I can't find the short lines for the front from the rubber hose to the W/C. Can anybody tell me where I can get new ones of these because I don't think I can save them.

Thanks in advance.

I figure you've done some pretty heavy searching already - that in mind, you may find yourself having to make your own..

Had the same issue. Worked with Classic Lines to resolve it. Sent in my old lines which they matched perfectly. They did however have to reuse the old threaded fittings from the old lines on one end because they didn't have the proper replacement. It all worked out very well. If you call them ask for Tim. He is in sales but if you reference the problem he can work you through it. A little slow. It worth it.
Yote
Definitely save your old lines and ends to do this.

Thanks for the suggestions I did see lines by Right Stuff on Ebay that are supposed to be for the car but there were a couple of different versions. I went to Right Stuff web sight but could not find them there.

Yote I'll look into that but looking at them and doing a wrenching on them I'm not sure if I can get them off with out destroying them. If I get the fluid out can I put heat to them to loosen them up?

Yes , if you are putting on new wheel cylinders the heat shouldn't be a problem. That didn't help me though. The fitting was frozen to the line. I had to free the hose end of the line then turn the line and fitting together from the wheel cylinder. DO NOT ruin that fitting that goes to the wheel cylinder , if it was like mine ,they will need it.
Yote

Using round-jawed small vice-grips to clamp down on those fittings sometimes gives the grip and leverage to get them started to turn.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. As I said I did find the lines by Right Stuff on Ebay $10 for the parts $26+ for shipping sorry not going to happen. I googled the name and part # and found them on Jegs website $11+ part $9 handling so they are on order. When they get here I'll let you know if they work. I will still try to save the old parts just incase they don't work.

-
Back