Brake MC pushrod

-

Backally

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am replacing the brake master cylinder in my 70 Duster, Maunal brakes. From what I see I need to use the pushrod from the brake pedal to the old M/C. How do you remove it from that aluminum cylinder in the old M/C?

Attachments

• brake pushrod.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 181
There is a tapered piece of plastic that fits around a groove in the pushrod that retains the rod inside the bore of the master cylinder. You will need to pry with enough force to overcome the retention of the tapered piece of plastic. Make sure your new master cylinder comes with the tapered plastic piece, because you will not be able to reuse the old one.

The way I like to do it is to place the rod loosly in a vice with the aluminum piston resting on the top of the vice jaws, the put a big screwdriver through the loop of the rod and smack the screwdriver with a hammer to break the retainer clip.

I did like TrailBeast said. Since then, I read it is easier to pop it out in the car, using the brake pedal leverage, just remove the brake light switch first. The rod locks in place with a square rubber bushing. It slides in easy, but won't come out without tearing the rubber since a step locks it. Old bushings can be hard and appear to be plastic (were probably rubber). This assumes your new MC is for manual brakes. Power MC pistons don't have the locking step. Most manual MC's I have seen come with the brake rod and dust cover/retainer. I don't know where to buy just the rubber bushing. When I bought a 4 to 2 bolt adapter plate recently (ebay), it came with the bushing.

I did like TrailBeast said. Since then, I read it is easier to pop it out in the car, using the brake pedal leverage, just remove the brake light switch first.

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that. :D

Just take the switch off, and then yank the pedal up.

-
Back