Brake pedal not making contact w/ switch..

-

Beatnik

Reaction score
Hey guys - My pedal is just about 1/8" away from contacting the switch, so as a result my brake lights are always on. Adjuster that holds the switch is as far forward toward the pedal as can be, and I tried going in reverse and braking multiple times to try and get the pedal up but no change...any other ideas?

Maybe I need a new master cylinder? Hope not...my brakes work ok for 9" drums but are a little "soft"...

I guess I could extend the switch with something but I'd rather fix the pedal to come up further..

Can't recall exacly how the A-bodies are set up, but can you bend the bracket toward the brake pedal enough to make contact?

check your adjusters to make sure they are working, and check how much meat is left on the shoes - they will cause a low pedal. Re-bleed just to make sure there's no air in the system. Most likely NOT the MC at fault, IMO.

You know, that's interesting you mention that. I tried with my hand a little and was able to flex it some, but I had bad leverage at the time with how I was reaching. I didnt want to do that "band-aid" really but I may have to for now. I think I could bend it enough if I worked at it...anybody else got some ideas how to get the pedal up? I'm assuming since my switch is in the stock location my pedal is the issue...

I'll check my adjusters and shoes. Had this same issue on my Dart, and found out the adjusters were gone! Dont ask why...found that out after I bought it.

if all else fails, you can test the MC by removing the lines and installing plugs in the two connections. Then press the brake pedal and see if it is firm, or if it slowly goes down. If it goes down, you have a bad MC.

It may be that the pedal return spring is worn. Mine done this shortly after I got it running but was able to adjust the switch. It like the pedal was not coming up all the way on mine.

Thanks guys...I'll to the MC line removal check I think too.

..and check the pedal return spring. Didnt think about that!

-
Back