Brake Pedal Releasing SLOWLY

-

'70_Duster_340

Reaction score
Have the Kelsey Hayes calipers on the '70 Duster 340 ... The car has been sitting a long time ... I re-buit the calipers because a couple were frozen .. The brakes work great, except they don't release properly ... The pedal comes up real slow unless I put my foot under it and pull it up ...

What's this mean ?? Bad master cylinder ??

Thanks

Its probably the master cylinder but just to rule out a couple of other posibilities... Disconnect the connecting rod to the pedal and make sure it moves freely in its pivots. Might just need some lube.

Sorry to jump your thread but...are the brake calipers mounted front or rear with your KH brakes?

I have the same brakes but thier off(have been for 12 years)and I dont recall which way they go!

Will be mounting them soon..

I did lube up the pedal but it didn't help ... If I disconnect the vacuum line at the booster with the car running, the pedal springs right back fine .. I'm thinking the piston is gummed up in the master cylinder, and will probably replace that next ..

Oh, and I just looked and the calipers are rear mounted ...

Kenny

I would say that your booster is your problem if it returns fine with the vacuum hose unplugged. It sounds like the engine vacuum because of a faulty valve in the booster is not releasing.

Chuck

Wouldn't I have a real hard brake pedal and less braking if the booster were shot ?? I thought I read that somewhere. The brakes work great, just the pedal comes back up to the top slowly, unless I help it

yeah you didn't say power brakes initialy. it's the booster. cheers

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info ... I remember putting a new one on shortly after I bought the car in the late 70's, but probably another victim of letting the car sit around too long

-
Back