brake pedal travel

-

KAMSGTS440

Banned
Reaction score
havn't driven a mopar in 25 years, so am unclear about brake pedal travel on them...just had the brakes rebuilt stem to stern on my 69 Dart (no power manual brakes ) and the mech who rebuilt them says its normal travel but he could re-bleed them for me...the pedal travels 1/2 way to the floor (it seems) but 1 quick pump and it comes up about a quarter pedal more...is this normal???

might still have some air or the rear shoes need to seat in to drums then rejust rear. i think on a non power the pedal will drop only a little if it comes up after a pump/try again. als

Not to hijack your thread, but i also am having some 69 manual brake issues. 1st, i would agree with the rear drum adjustment. if the pedal is hard, adjust the rear shoes and ill bet your problem improves.
My problem is with the distance my pedal is from the floor. I just removed the power booster and mounted the MC directly to the firewall, ordered the mancini adjustable pushrod, and adjusted it to the same 6 1/4'' dimension as a buddies 67 factory manual car. Now the brake pedal seems to be too far off the floor. currently its around 9'' give or take to the floor. Anyone have any measurements handy?

When dealing with these older vehicles you never know what someone else might have messed with. Check the park brake cable adjustment and make sure it's not holding the shoes apart. Then set then at the adjusters.
Most will adjust out until they here a scrub sound. That may be comming from the outer edge of the linning at the bottom of the drum. I file a small radius on that outer edge of the linnings and check the shoe radius against the drum radius before I put them on.

When dealing with these older vehicles you never know what someone else might have messed with. Check the park brake cable adjustment and make sure it's not holding the shoes apart. Then set then at the adjusters.
Most will adjust out until they here a scrub sound. That may be comming from the outer edge of the linning at the bottom of the drum. I file a small radius on that outer edge of the linnings and check the shoe radius against the drum radius before I put them on.

forgot to mention that it has the stock 4x5 4 piston kelsey-hayes discs on front and 4.5x5...2.5x11 drums on back

-
Back