Brake Question

-

jefflock

69 Dart 408 10.08 best pass so far
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How much do drum brakes add to the width of an 8 3/4 rear end??
Does adding disc brakes to the rear add to the width also and how much??
Thanks Jeff

Drums or discs won't add very much AT ALL to the width WITH THE AXLES INSTALLED.

A drum is maybe 1/8" thick metal on the outside of the axle/ wheel mounting face, so drums only "add" maybe 1/4" to width.

Disk brakes might be a bit thicker, say, 1/4"--3/8" thick each, so they would add as much as 1/2"--3/4" and that might be generous.

"All the rest" of the drum/ disk "stuff" is INBOARD of the axle/ wheel mounting flange

How much do drum brakes add to the width of an 8 3/4 rear end??
Does adding disc brakes to the rear add to the width also and how much??
Thanks Jeff

What exactly are you getting at? How much the brakes add to the width of the axle compared to the bare housing? Or how much they add axle to axle?

This sticky shows the measurement of the bare axle housings and the measurements drum face to drum face. The "flange to flange" measurement is a bare housing measurement.

An accurate 8 3/4" rear axle width list

As for how much it adds, it depends. The SBP drums add a different amount than the BBP drums. For example, a SBP A-body 8 3/4 is 52 5/8" for just the housing, and 57 1/8" drum to drum. So the SBP drums add 4.5" to the width. But a 65-67 B-body 8 3/4 is 54 1/4" bare, and 59 1/2" drum to drum, so the BBP drums add 5.25".

Disks usually add about a 1/4" to the width, per side, compared to drums. Obviously it can change a little based on what kit you actually use, but that's the general idea.

Currently I have my 8 3/4 A body rear end with Yukon big bolt axles installed with no brakes installed. I have mini tubbed the car. What I'm trying to accomplish is figuring out what width I need to cut another housing to. I see according to your chart it would be 56 3/4 wide with brakes.

You lost me. Are you saying the one you have is too wide? Or you have axles that don't fit the housing?

If you have a finished housing/ axles, is this something you can adjust with wheel backspace?

To put this another way, let's say you have a housing/ axles which go together, and can be made to work under the car

Brakes will only add a small amount to that. Disks are the thickest, maybe 5/16 of material per side.

-
Back