Brake swap!!

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
OK All, here is what i have. 71 Swinger with drum brakes and disk brakes off a 74 dart. when i do the swap do i put the calipers in front or back of the spindle? And how does the flex brake line route to the hard line? Anyone with pics of their swap they can share? Thanks to such a great site.

Jeff

It matters which K-frame you're using. On the earlier frame with an anti-sway bar, put the calipers to the rear. Here's a photo of my Demon with a 75 Valiant K-frame and disks. I used stock routing for the brake hose. The disk uses a different hose than the drum (length & fittings). Hope this helps.

DSCN1930.jpg

The stock fluid line has a short piece of steel tubing at caliper end. It will likely need tweaked a little to prevent over stretch and or wheel rub when calipers are switched to the rear. I've done it more than once. I dont have pics.
Dont forget to check this though or you could pull a brand new line into.

thanks folks for the help. My K-member is V-8 from the 71 Swinger. i had K-H disk brakes that i sold to get the 74 disk. i have most of it together now but the flex lines have a bracket built in. i am just not sure where it bolts to. I do have the calipers to the front. And the bracket for where the hard lines and the flex line meets is to small for the flex line to go into for the slide clip. if that makes since? can i just use a dremal to en-large the hole? Again thanks for the help

And the bracket for where the hard lines and the flex line meets is to small for the flex line to go into for the slide clip. if that makes since? can i just use a dremal to en-large the hole? Again thanks for the help

I had to use a dremel to open up that hole when I did my swap.

If I remember correctly the old flex line had a flat on one side and the new line didn't. The hole in the bracket had the flat that lined up with the flat on the flex line.

Actually I ground a flat on the flex line so it fit properly in the hole in the bracket, but either way will be fine.

you could rub that out with a file or dermel but look at it closely cause it is supposed to fit. 2 flats have to be turned the right way.

No sway bar? Mount them to the front and save the hose hassle.

If you have a factory 71 sway got to go to the rear unless you shorten the attaching link. Hoses are off a 78 lebaron or something like that. They need to be longer than the factory style front hung caliper hoses.

-
Back