Brake switch problem

-

Beecat

Reaction score
This thread is for anybody who has dealt with an A-body brake switch. I have a '64 Valiant.
The OEM brake switch comes mounted in a perpendicular-bent flange that bolts to a mounting under the dash. The on-off button on the switch is supposed to 'line up' with the lever attached to the brake pedal. See foto.
The new switch came with a barrel nut that is supposed to secure the switch in the flange, so that the on-off button stays lined up with the brake pedal lever. After installing the new switch, it still has a slight wobble to it, so that occasionally, when the brake pedal / lever returns to it's resting position, it slides past the switch and the brake lights stay on!
Anybody run into this problem? How did you resolve it?
Thanks!

IMG_0490.JPG

Why does the switch have a wobble to it? If it's just poor quality/design, maybe add a custom angle bracket under the push rod nut that will have a wider contact area for the button on the switch. If it just slips off one side, maybe bend the bracket over a bit to center the button better.

On my '68 the stamped steel part that the switch attaches to was bent when someone pulled the pedal back replacing the mastercyclinder. I had to replace it with another as no matter how much I bent it straight, it would flex/wobble just enough and have the same problem you are having.

May have Other option is to put a pressure switch in the brake line and wire the circuit to that.

All helpful suggestions, thanks. I found an NOS switch / bracket assembly on eBay (see foto). No 'wobble' at all where switch is mounted on the bracket! Switch lines up perfectly with the brake pedal lever. Problem solved!

Here's my theory . . . if your '64 Valiant needed a new brake switch in (say) 1974, the mechanic would go to the parts desk at the local Chrysler-Plymouth dealership and return with a new switch and bracket assembly. No problem. Fast forward 50 years, the mechanic (me) gets just the switch, which is made in China, from (say) NAPA, and comes with a barrel clip to hopefully secure it (unsucessfully, in my case) to the original bracket.

Anyway -- happy, happy, happy!

nosBrakeLightSwitch.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back