Brake upgrade questions

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
My 75 Dart Sport was originally a power brake car. At some point it was converted to a manual brake setup.

I am about to commence with the rear axle rebuild/brake upgrade. Beside replacing the open diff with a Sure Grip and swapping 2.45s for 3.55s, I am adding the Jeep Rear disc brakes.

Since I am opening the brake system, I figured it's a good time to replace the master cylinder. So I have two questions:

Are power brakes even a benefit on these cars? I have only driven "A"s with manual brakes, and they seem to do fine.....

I am looking to put on an aftermarket master cylinder with the larger 1 1/16 bore..will this effect my braking in a negative way?

I'd stick with manual but that's my opinion. The master cylinder bore size will be determined by your preference of pedal feel and the size of the caliper bores in the brake setup you're running, which will have a different bias balance if it's non-stock brakes.

I fail to see why anyone needs power brakes on a lighter A body (IMHO).

Manual brakes are much simpler to deal with, lighter, take up less space under the hood, and work great.

Any questions?

Well, I have decided to fore go the power setup. I am just going to install the Jeep rear discs, replace the master cylinder with a factory type, and put on some good pads all around.

I am going to buy stock rotors for the rear. Some friends think I should pay for the slotted aftermarket stuff. Really though, they came off a Jeep GC for cripe sakes....something that weighs several hundred pounds more than my Dart..I think the stock stuff with ceramic pads should work great.

I am going to install all stainless braided flex lines though.

2.45 ratio uses a housing different from all the other ratios requiring you to swap out the housing to change ratios.

Super-D, Power brakes just take away the effort of a manual set up, discs provide a better stopping distance. 4 wheel disc will not require a M/C change since theres no bias to contend with.

I also beileve the stock rotors and good pads will be more than enuff WHOA for your ride.

Well, I figured since I was opening up the brake system I should go ahead and swap out the master cylinder. They are cheap from the parts store.

As for the 2.45 to 3.55 swap, I've got that covered.

3.55 gears (lightly used in a V6 Dakota).
Mopar Limited Slip (29 spline late model)
Motive Gear rebuild kit
LPW diff girdle cover
Jeep GC disc brakes
-Plus I will be ordering a set of Moser axles to fit the 29 spline Dakota LS unit.

..and I will be upgrading to the stainless lines, and welding up the axle tubes.

-
Back