Brake upgrade?

-

Izzonyg

Reaction score
I'm restoring a 70 Duster. Car has stock front disk breaks.
The master cylinder needs to be replaced. When I replace it is it worth upgrading to a power boost? Or will the stopping performance only be minimal?
If I do go with a power boost will have have to change my break peddle or put other adds to the breaking system.

All the booster does is assist in applying the brakes, it doesn't make your brakes better, just easier to push the pedal.

If I do go with a power boost will have have to change my break peddle or put other adds to the breaking system.
Same brake pedal. Search for photos here if you haven't seen the booster setup. In A-bodies, the booster mounts on stand-off brackets. If you get brackets, make sure they have the lever and rod to the pedal, with a seal plate. You can actually mount more modern boosters on those brackets if you want. I put one from a 95 Breeze on my 65 Dart. That gave an aluminum MC (ABS version). It clears the Weind valve cover on my 273 by just 1/8". See my post.

keep the manual brakes. cleaner look,simpler,less chance of leaks,no better brakes with booster or feel. my two cents.

I have manual KH disk brakes & 10 inch rear drums on my ’67 Dart. Before rebuilding the system it had a few stuck pistons in calipers; the brakes were terrible, real hard pedal, and long stopping distances. Once fitted with rebuilt calipers, new pads, and a new, not rebuilt, larger than stock ’67 master cylinder, later stile disk / drum manual master cylinder; the brakes now work very well. All that is required is a little more pedal pressure then is used with power brakes to stop the car. In fact I think manual brakes give a better feel, and take up quicker than power brakes.

Ever slammed on the brakes at 100mph, and experience brake fade, with drums? Twice for me, converted to front disc manual. I can stop, now.

How 'bout this: Get you existing, manual brakes working properly, then drive the car. Then decide if you want to add a power brake booster. As it is, you have no point of reference.

-
Back