Brakes for 8 3/4 A-body axle. replace 10" with 11"

-

3406pk

Reaction score
I currently have 74 Duster with 8 1/4 axle and 11" X 2" brakes and 4.5" bolt circle. I know brakes are not standard, but they were on it when I bought it. Brake parts from 74 Satelite fit. I just bought 8 3/4 rear end at auction w 10"X1.75" brake and SBP axle. I also got a pair of a-body length axles (27 11/16"). I want the bigger 11" brakes, and wonder if the backing plates and drums will work on the 8 3/4 with the BBP axles?
I have searched and read many of the threads about this, but have not found definite answer. Has someone done this, or know for sure? Thanks for help

The BBP axles from the 8.25” won’t fit the 8 3/4.

If you bought BBP axles for the 8 3/4, then yes, the BBP brakes should fit. Assuming that the BBP A-body 8 3/4 axles you bought aren’t actually re-drilled SBP axles. Or moser axles made with the 5x4.5” pattern but the SBP axle flange offset, because you can buy those too.

The BBP brakes will fit as long as the axles have the BBP and the correct BBP flange offset.

The BBP axles from the 8.25” won’t fit the 8 3/4.

If you bought BBP axles for the 8 3/4, then yes, the BBP brakes should fit. Assuming that the BBP A-body 8 3/4 axles you bought aren’t actually re-drilled SBP axles. Or moser axles made with the 5x4.5” pattern but the SBP axle flange offset, because you can buy those too.

The BBP brakes will fit as long as the axles have the BBP and the correct BBP flange offset.

Thanks for reply 72blu. Bought used axles, not redrilled sbp. Not sure of manuf, no numbers; but same outer end shape as my other mopar 8 3/4 rears. Only cost $20 for axles, so no risk.

I currently have 74 Duster with 8 1/4 axle and 11" X 2" brakes and 4.5" bolt circle. I know brakes are not standard, but they were on it when I bought it. Brake parts from 74 Satelite fit. I just bought 8 3/4 rear end at auction w 10"X1.75" brake and SBP axle. I also got a pair of a-body length axles (27 11/16"). I want the bigger 11" brakes, and wonder if the backing plates and drums will work on the 8 3/4 with the BBP axles?
I have searched and read many of the threads about this, but have not found definite answer. Has someone done this, or know for sure? Thanks for help
I'm confused; all A-body factory 8.75 axles are sbp.
You didn't actually say that your "a-body-length axles" are BBP
And then you say "same outer end shape as my other mopar 8.75s"

So when I put all that together in my head, I get that you have two matching sets of oem or oem-type 8.75 axles.

Sorry, I forgot to add that the used axle pair are 27 11/16, with bbp, 30 spline. As I said they have same shape of outer end as the 8 3/4 rear ends in our e-body cars. Maybe resplined pickup or c-body axles.

-
Back