Brakes stickin after brake job

-
It's possible they reinstalled the calipers wrong and they cannot slide properly. I have seen supposedly "experienced" brake shops that did not know calipers are supposed to slide or float. All of that area must be properly greased too so that it does not bind.

I cannot imagine both hoses would cause this at the same time, but I suppose it's possible. "I" would suspect an incorrect master cylinder where the piston travel was incorrect and the master cylinder was "applied" just enough to make the front brakes tight. But again, that's just a guess through the internet.

I see you're in Jacksonville. I am just outside of Macon, Georgia.If you get fed up with dumbasses, truck that joker up here. I'll fix it for you and won't rape your eyes out.

Could be bound up pistons in the calipers not returning due to pitting and contamination also.
That and the master cyl would be my first two priorities on that one.

Like these guys said we all had to start somewhere and I'm sure all of us are still learning. Also like they said, brakes are the easiest thing to do. Read up on how they work, get the factory service manual and a set of line wrenches.

Honestly you can replace the entire brake system for less than what they charged you, and that's what I think I'd do. I'd pull the parts off that they installed and demand a refund. If they decline submit a dispute with your credit card bank, you'll get your money back.

All new pads/shoes, rotors/drums, hardware kit(s), cylinders, master cylinder, hoses, even lines shouldn't be more than a few hundred dollars if you shop around.

What happens with either drum when you put it on without the washers on there?

Is there a gap with the silver one, does the black one rub the backing plate?

Shoes: Measure the width of the shoe pad, measure the contact pattern inside the drum that was on the car when you got it, and the other too.

Can you explain a bit about the front discs?

Were the pads worn down to metal?

Did they replace the calipers? If so, are the bleeders on top or on the bottom?

Here is something to check on the discs if you want to take a minute. Jack up one front wheel, apply the brakes with some firm pressure and release. Now, try and turn the wheel, does it turn? Easy or with resistance?

Repeat other side.

If all they did was bleed them it's possible the rubber lines have collapsed on the inside and do not allow the fluid to return as quickly as it should, holding pressure on the pads.

Im heading back to NAPA to get rear parts and will check all this when I return.

Rust in these front calipers is very common, and more so if they have been driven through water and will cause them to stick. If so, time to rebuild or even better, put new rebuilt calipers on. This has been my most common brake problem experience on these cars.

And pushing the caliper pistons back to install new pads can move the pistons back into the deeper part of the caliper bore, where water and crud will accumulate and the pistons will seize on the rust and crud back there. Very common on all sorts of disc calipers.

This gets back to the earlier comment that on these cars, when it comes time to work on the brakes and you don't know what has been done, you just shotgun the whole system. I used to fix one part at a time when I was younger and poorer and could trade time for $$, but I don't do that anymore.

Took every one's advice and thank you very much, tacked rebuilding my entire brake system with my friends help, Sun Tire screwed up by using wrong pads and did not adjust the master cylinder. Yup no washers, no smoking wheels!
It took a long day and I actually replaced everything to brand new except the brake lines.
Thanks for the support and constructive criticism!!
Reworking my carburetor tomorrow so I might need some more help...
Thanks again!!!

Great news and very glad to hear it!

After this little adventure you have to wonder if they even get tires right.

Took every one's advice and thank you very much, tacked rebuilding my entire brake system with my friends help, Sun Tire screwed up by using wrong pads and did not adjust the master cylinder. Yup no washers, no smoking wheels!
It took a long day and I actually replaced everything to brand new except the brake lines.
Thanks for the support and constructive criticism!!
Reworking my carburetor tomorrow so I might need some more help...
Thanks again!!!

:cheers:

-
Back