brakes went out

-

hamsterhats

Reaction score
I purchased a 71 dart yesterday 4 hours away. First mopar, first project! Trailed it home, brakes went out coming off the ramp at home. The guy told me that it could easily make the drive home if i chose to. There is a major leak in the line. This guy topped off the fluid before i got there and it leaked on the trip home and while loading and unloading. Why can't people just be honest. I found a stainless brake line kit at year one, 220 bucks for a 4 piece front and 2 piece rear. Should I just go to autozone and do it myself? Also while im at it, was gonna replace the booster and master cylinder with a 7 inch booster and aluminum cylinder. Will i run into any problems installing this smaller cylinder?

it is the hose that goes from an anchor point on the frame to the brakes. I was going to do the whole thing while i was at it. The whole system looks to be a bad job.

they can be a pain to flare and seal. you can do your own but you better have some good tools. try replacing the hoses and flushing the system. there is a good chance the nut is rusted to the hard line though.

If you take a steel line off,make sur you save it for a template. Buy a flaring kit and a line bender. Neither one are that expensive. You'll get your moneys worth for sure. If it is just the rubber hose just replace that. You might want to save your money, Who knows what else the a$$hole didn't tell you about. Not trying to bum you out but, if he said you could drive it and the brakes went out on you, WOW!

inline tube has the best prices. revendho turned me on to them and i have nothing but good things to say

replaced the hoses and flushed the system, good to go!

The seller of my car told me teh same thing when I asked about teh brakes.

'Real good brakes!"

Hmmmphhh.

Ended up swapping out all the hoses and master cylinder to get the front brakes working.

I just scuffed the drums and shoes all around but I have a pull so I think i need to either cut the drums or mayeb a cylinder is sticking.

Do front drums have an adjustment like the rears?

I am a very new rookie, but here is what worked for me. I changed out the shoes, drums and wheel cylinder.On the front discs, I replaced the calipers, pads, power booster, m cylinder hoses and prop valve. On the drums, The drums wouldn't fit over the shoes, the adjustment was tightened, letting the shoes fit. A guy on the site said to go in reverse, 5-10 mph and slam the brakes to reset the adjuster, did that, heard a pop and everything was good to go. This is what worked for me, and I couldn't imagine that the front drums wouldn't have the same adjustment as the rear. Remember, i am new, this is just what worked for me!

Good job hamsterhats, I feel's good when you do something yourself especially in today's lack of economy. There is no substitute for good brakes, you can have all the HP possible but if you cant stop your an accident waiting to happen.

-
Back