Brand New Eddy RPM performer intake:How to protect it?

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
Brand New Eddy RPM performer intake. How to protect it? I am wondering what are some of the best options as far as high temp painting vs. high temp powdercoating. What have you guys used in the past to keep your intake manifolds looking good? The new intake I have has no finish on it, so basically fresh bare aluminum. I'd like to keep the aluminum color. Thanks.

Dave

I would get it powdercoated in clear. You can spray bomb clear, but i dont think you'll get the protection/lasting that you would from powdercoating

I have heard clear paint will make it turn yellowish. If I get it powdercoated I guess I will have to find some extra parts to get coated at the same time to make the trip to the powder coater worth while and cheaper. Thanks. Clear powder it is.

Pics would be great

What about painting it with Dupli-color Aluminum? Has anyone done that and what were the results?

This intake is paint cast aluminum.

IM000607.jpg

IM000607.jpg

I painted my M1 with the VHT clear Engine enamel and it hasn't yellowed yet......

cool i think i will find some VHT paint today
thanks

Now I'm not saying it will...but mine has been run for a year and it is still fine. Powder Coating isdefinetly the best way and when I pull the motor apart this next time I will have mine powder coated.

The M1 doesnt have a heat cross over so the intake wont get as hot as the RPM will.

No but I have used it before with out problems.

This motor ran for 5 years. Same paint. The stains are from a few years worth of leaks.

IM000554.jpg

I think I'm going to try the Dupli-color Aluminum. Adam, I like the red treatment on the Edelbrock. I think I might try that as well.

Thanks for the help.

I use either "New Cast" in aluminum or a similar product on used intakes. I wouldnt clear coat any, they do yellow. Not just from heat, but from the chemicals too. On a car that's driven a lot on not stored much, just spraying WD40 on it after it's been bolted up will keep the luster and delay any corrosion. That's what I have done on my plow truck.

I picked up some 1200 degree dupi-color aluminum paint and was thinking of trying that. But powerdercoating is still an option for me because i still want to get my suspension parts powdercoated as well. Thanks for all the info

I had a cast iron intake powder coated aluminum color! It looked like crap after 3 months,from heat and gasoline from tuning on the carb and changing it out 3 times! I even had the intake redone! Yellowed and discolored just from heat! Unless they have some type of hytemp powder coating now I would stay away from that on hot surfaces! Just my experience and opinion! I like the POR 15 engine color kit! I done my complete engine and it has held up now for 4 years now and still looks great! I am getting ready to build 2 engines and they will get POR 15 hemi orange color kits!

My son took one of my intakes and had it powdercoated in clear for me about 5 years back and it turned yellow color from the heat and probably fuel. Looked super nice in the beginning though. Maybe they have something better now or mine was just done wrong.

-
Back