Brass gear oil drive

-
Just ordered a new one from Summit, it's a comp one. About how long do these last? First time with a bronze gear.

Make sure you run a collar on the distributor shaft with the correct amount of clearance. The collar keeps the gear from climbing up and down on the cam gear, which significantly increases wear. Without the collar on there, the clearance is only limited by how the clearance between the distributor drive tang and the slot it fits into on the intermediate shaft. That's usually quite a bit more than is optimal.

You can see how much wear is taking place by pulling the distributor and carefully looking at the thickness of the gear teeth. I checked mine at each oil change. Don't run excessively thick oil either, 10-30w should be fine for most climates.

I've also wondered if cryogenically treating the gear would reduce wear.

When I changed cams, I went with the treated steel gear from Crane or Crower. I forget which one, but got it from Hughes.

Last edited:
As far as wear goes , I suggest that you get an extra gear just in case . It will tell you when it goes bad . Good luck , looks like a killer build .

I'm actually not going to have a distributor I switched over to the cam position sensor from a jeep since mines fuel injected but will check that. I wonder about that too about getting the bronze gear treated

I looked at that gear from Hughes, but they say it's not for high volumn pumps which stinks.
interesting, I`ve been running one on a hi volume pump for 3 or so years. They didn`t tell me that----------I DID ORDER TWO BY MISTAKE ,ONE WAS A HAIR LONGER THAN THE OTHER, THEY TOOK THE SHORTER ONE BACK.

Oh okay, maybe I'll order one of those and keep the bronze one as a back up. How's the wear been?

Oh okay, maybe I'll order one of those and keep the bronze one as a back up. How's the wear been?

Virtually no wear, got it on the second roller cam . I asked someone at hughs if it would be ok to use it on a cam change , he told me "good to go."

Nice I'm going to order one up, I'll put it on after this bronze I just got, the right one this time thank goodness, slide right in.

20181128_140014.jpg

Just as a fyi if anyone if going to run this sane cam sensor the hardened shaft groove for the driver needs to be opened up a bit compared to a stock distributor.

-
Back