Votes: 38 71.7%
  • Brass

Votes: 15 28.3%

• Total voters
-

wjaholic

My car stole my wallet!
Reaction score
I am swapping the pan on my 727 for one that I have put a temp. sensor and drain plug in. I am going to change the filter and check the bands while I am in there.

I was wondering which filter you guys run? I want to say that I read a while back that the brass filter should be used in performance applications and the Dacron should be used if you are running an aluminum drum. I was kind of confused by that so I figured I would ask around a little.

What filter would you guys run in a street/strip car without an aluminum drum?

................I only use the brass filter on a dedicated race car.........i've built over a hundred TFs...........kim....

the brass ones are built to flow better at the sacrifice of filtering less.

If I remember correctly (and believe me , I'm an idiot !) , didn't Chrysler invent the Dacron transmission filtre ? Circa 1971 , me thinks ...

What's this brass filtre you're speaking of here ? Sounds more like a screen than a filtre .

I used the brass in my race car 727 and 904's only for a very short time. I never saw a problem with restriction using the dacron filters so I continued to use them when I realized the brass didn't filter as well, even without an aluminum drum.

How about running the brass 1 in the pan for less restriction at the pick up and a replaceable cannister 1 in the return line.
You could change the cannister on a more frequent basis, such as along with oil changes.

............the brass filters usually come in a shift kit.......kim.......

In the old B&Ms yea but Transgo your lucky to get tape on the box...
Filters with shift kits are now history. Nothings free nowadays.

If its just a daily driver use a Dacron they work just fine. But ask for a brand name like Filtran the offshore can be a little too tightly woven and starve the pump at times.If its a quality filter the name will be stamped on the metal edge of the filter.
If you're pumping some real HP and are plan on actually using it then go Brass Screen.
In any case throw a magnet in the pan especially with the Brass screen.

Dacron filters first came as standard equipment on the Torqueflite in 1964. That's the type to use unless you are installing an in-line external filter of some kind in which case you can use a brass screen in the trans. I like genuine Chrysler filters better than aftermarket. Save yourself a bunch of trouble and use the one and only worthwhile pan gasket: Chrysler 2464 324AB, which is a rigid double-seal reusable design that will seal. Fluid, see here.

...Save yourself a bunch of trouble and use the one and only worthwhile pan gasket: Chrysler 2464 324AB, which is a rigid double-seal reusable design that will seal. Fluid, see here.

Thanks for the tip. I picked one up on lunch today.

I also stopped at my local Napa the other day and picked up a Napa brand Dacron filter. It does NOT have a country of origin stamped on it anywhere. I may hit up an autoparts store that sells WIX and check one of them out. I am not crazy about "offshore" parts.

Attachments

• 0622121143.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 461
I just bought a transgo tf-2 and it came with a brass filter (and a 727 gasket, I'm doing a 904, oh well it's cork anyway).

Since I read this though I picked up a Dacron filter instead. Not sure how much stock I'd put in the "offshore filters are woven too tight". Folks seem to be in a bit of a tizzy over imported parts, sometimes warranted but a lot of the time not.

In the old B&Ms yea but Transgo your lucky to get tape on the box...
Filters with shift kits are now history. Nothings free nowadays.

If its just a daily driver use a Dacron they work just fine. But ask for a brand name like Filtran the offshore can be a little too tightly woven and starve the pump at times.If its a quality filter the name will be stamped on the metal edge of the filter.
If you're pumping some real HP and are plan on actually using it then go Brass Screen.
In any case throw a magnet in the pan especially with the Brass screen.

Here is a pic of the filter kit I got from Napa - No country on origin info on it. I am going to check out a wix filter this weekend to see what it says.

Attachments

• 0622121416.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 482
I prefer a good filtering Dacron also for 98% of what I build. A few yrs. ago as a test I used a Dacron filter in a race trans I built that had a manual VB and it showed no evidence at all of fluid starvation. It wasn't a super fast car though (11.0's) so with something faster I suppose it's a possibility.

Even if you use an external filter along with a brass internal filter and magnet there's always the chance of some aluminum or brass shavings from a planetary or thrust washer dropping down into the pan and getting sucked through the brass filter. When that happens the first thing that happens is scoring in the valve body and can also eat away at seals.

dont for get rev causes the line pressure to as high as 300 psi. needing lots of volume. in cold weather with a clogged filter sometimes rev will be slow coming in or not at all.

-
Back