Break in oil any suggestions on brands

-
A few guys have already mentioned that if you have a flat tappet cam and mechanical lifters, you NEED the anti ware properties from high Zinc, Phosphorous, and Sulfur oils. If you have a roller cam in a modern engine, the most important thing would be to make sure you're doing frequent oil changes with a good quality oil and good quality filter (not a crappy cheep fram), no?

Any one know how they measure the amount of Z, P, S in an oil? Is it a ppm or some sort of ratio? What a good mix?

Take it with a grain of salt but I found it interesting when I talked to a very well known engine builder (high dollar big name race stuff)about oils a few years ago.He actually did some dyno tests and track time on a couple of engines making around 1,000 h.p. to see if there was a difference between brad penn and joe gibbs oils.On the dyno he found that the joe gibbs made around 20 (.02%) more h.p at peak than brad penn,the engines were then ran at the track.When it came time for tear down and inspection he found that the engine using joe gibbs showed normal wear for the amount of time but the brad penn engine showed almost zero wear like it was fresh.He reccomended brad penn for a street engine-but he did say the wear was not abnormal with the joe gibbs-it was actually more abnormal with the brad penn in the fact that it looked like it was still fresh off the stand.

Showing my old school fool self here. Years ago, a new car came with break-in oil. Then they quit the practice, now we're back at it. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Recommend a lightweight mineral oil, say a 5w-20 or even a 10w-30 will do. Use the ZDDP additive. Do not leave in for more than 100 hrs of operation. The oil is still slick, but it has a bunch of crud in suspension that the filter is not getting. Switch to normal lube with ZDDP added for the first change. Use ZDDP afterwards as desired at oil changes.

I do not recommend a synthetic oil for break in. The stuff is slicker than snot on a doorknob and will not allow the rings to set properly. After the break-in period, feel free to use it.

Not true.... I work for an Acura dealer and the factory sent out a memo stating..." Do not change the original oil before 3500 miles... The engine has a breakin oil...."

Just sayin....

-
Back