Break in oil

-

Hoophoop

Reaction score
I just recently built a 340 stroked to 416, flat tappet cam, what is in your opinion to run for break in oil, and afterwards? I was thinking Lucas 20-50 for break in, the Royal Purple 20-50 after that, any advice here would be appreciated! Street car with occasional track runs also.

I would use whatever the cam manufacturer suggest for break in, and lucas hot rod oil after that

Whatever you use, needs to be pre mixed. In other words, if you use a standard low zinc oil and decide on an additive, you should mix it all together before dumpin it in the motor. That way, the zinc will be mixed thoroughly throughout the oil and there will be less chance of cam failure.

What you do after break in is up to you. Just make sure you have zinc from "somewhere".

Whatever you use, needs to be pre mixed. In other words, if you use a standard low zinc oil and decide on an additive, you should mix it all together before dumpin it in the motor. That way, the zinc will be mixed thoroughly throughout the oil and there will be less chance of cam failure.

What you do after break in is up to you. Just make sure you have zinc from "somewhere".

Great idea. Here's one that surfaced today on another site. It's a old name and possibly a good supplement.

Attachments

• 11215066_977585545668097_7512776764970629121_n.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 119
I've used the the zinc additive from the performance shop for break in,a couple of different brands 20 to 30 $ Canadian. After that Shell Rottela T Triple 15/40 which shows .1200 ppm zinc. That is above,what I've read, the .1000 recommended for flat tappet cams. Walmart had it $75 for 19.2L pail so for the US that would convert to a 5 gallon pail and likely about 5 bucks with difference in the dollar at the moment lol.

I used AMSOIL Break-In Oil for my 440 I just built. I'm a dealer but if there was something better I would have used it. Let me know if you need any help picking out oil.

-
Back