Break in with TTIs

-

7DUSTER3

1973 Plymouth Duster 360
Reaction score
Hey guys, we were talking to the guys at TTI at the fall fling and they said that we shouldnt break in our new 360 with the tti's on it. He said that they would over heat and start to eat the coating and discolor. Has anyone ever tried the break in with them? Also if we have to use manifolds will the manifolds and stock exhaust work on my duster from a 1979 B 200 Doge Van? we are worried about the stock crossover pipe fitting....

Any help is much appreciated

Bryce/Bob

Did you get your TTIs on as yet? In your last thread about your (TTIs) you were asking about installing problems! Although my motor was broken in prior to my TTI install... I hard from many it's a big "no-no" to try it!. For the cost of them, I don't think its a good idea to even think about it or you could be wasting your $$$. If their already in, that kinda sucks. Take a few extra days and brake the motor in with another manifold first.

PS Don't feel bad, I had to pull my TTIs off because I had a oil pan gasket leak. (Almost gave up MOPARS that day) :pirat:

Just my call however from what I've heard.

PSS. Just let your exhaust system after the collector hang (or wire it up) when using stock manifold to brake motor in. You could just add a few flexable tube extentions to clear any high heat from burning things up.

I spoke with Mike (TTI ) @ Fall Fling and he said the same thing. I forgot to ask him if it voids the warranty if one does fire up a new motor with them on and causes damage to the coating. I will give him a call and check.

The one thing that chaps my hide is that (as we all know) TTIs are not cheap. Yet, we have to go through extra time and costs to actually use them. Granted, I coud pick up a used set of headers and put them on the car but 1) there's no way I am going to break in a new motor without the full exhaust on (the neighbors would just love that), 2) there is the time involved to put these on and take them off, 3) there will be a cost involved to hook them up and then possibly have to pay to have the TTIs correctly hooked up, and 4) I am not looking forward to having to go through this process more than once since the paint is fresh in the compartment and I really don't want to scratch it up. It would be nice if TTI would use a process/material that could stand up to the rigors/heat of the break-in process. Rant mode off.

Yea we finally got them on, Turns out that the engine was jacked up to high and tilted to far. Once we dropped the engine, they slipped in perfectly. thats what i thought and was hoping for better news, I'd rather take the extra time and break the engine in right then mess up my headers. We have manifolds but no exhaust system for them. LOL wonder how loud bare exhaust manifolds would roar for 20 minutes???

Here's the ceramic coating warranty from the TTI site. There is no direct recommendation of using another exhaust system for break-in prior to installing their headers but they also state that recoating them would not be covered if it "shows evidence of the use of insulating wrap products or shows evidence of adverse conditions such as high heat temperatures encountered during engine break-in or if used in any racing activity." Otherwise, according to the warranty, discoloring would be covered 90 days from the date of purchase. Granted, you would still have to pull them off, send them back and then reinstall them. Here's the exact verbage:

CERAMIC COATING WARRANTY: TTI warrants Ceramic Coated Headers to the original purchaser, to be free from defects in material and workmanship for 90-days from the date of purchase. In the event of an alleged defect in the coating (peeling, discoloring or rusting), TTI’s sole responsibility is strictly to have the headers re-coated at no charge. Under no circumstances will TTI re-coat any header that shows evidence of the use of insulating wrap products or shows evidence of adverse conditions such as high heat temperatures encountered during engine break-in or if used in any racing activity. TTI will not warranty cost of removal or re-installation of the headers, loss of time, inconvenience or other incidental damages. You must pay all shipping charges incurred unless the headers were purchased within 90-days of warranty claim. Within the 90-day warranty, TTI will assume responsibility for return shipping charges.

'broke in two engines with my Polished ceramic in-and-out headers. No discolor but very dull at the top, visible from engine bay angle.

Yea we finally got them on, Turns out that the engine was jacked up to high and tilted to far. Once we dropped the engine, they slipped in perfectly. thats what i thought and was hoping for better news, I'd rather take the extra time and break the engine in right then mess up my headers. We have manifolds but no exhaust system for them. LOL wonder how loud bare exhaust manifolds would roar for 20 minutes???

It would sound pretty cool!!...just like at the drags LOL. Check out your districts noise control..or ask your nearest COP Shop. I'm sure if the hours are within reason you can get away with it..

'broke in two engines with my Polished ceramic in-and-out headers. No discolor but very dull at the top, visible from engine bay angle.

yup thats what they do when they get overheatred. the heck with it. all those coatings rust and peal sooner or later anyway..

my TTI's are due in any day. but my engine's already broken in - so on they will go.

Are we talking about the entire engine break-in? Somebody mentioned 20 minutes, so is the warning about high heat only applicable for the camshaft break-in period? Or do we need to be careful for the first 500 to 600 miles? If it's just the cam break-in period, what if you're running a roller cam?

I would'nt worry about it i broke my motor in running it down the track,with tti's installed,that was 2 years ago headers still look great..

I'm going to look back in the last issue of Mopar Action.
I THINK I saw a stainless exhaust system ad in there.
That is something I have wondered about.
The extra cost of coatings might not be any less than the extra cost if TTI made their systems in stainless.
TTI exhaust is aluminized. TTI headers have to be coated or plated for rust resistance?
No better for less heat in engine compartment, but the rust problem would be solved.
Might make too much sense.

I guess 7Duster3 just wanted to know how many guys have "tried" the break-in with TTIs. With my luck...I would toast them. Perhaps a few guys have luck even if the TTI warrenty says break-in is a no-no. Again "to me" it would be like using a condom with a hole in it! "so just how lucky do ya feel" :sign12:(maybe in 9 months time they would be screwed) :lol:

I found when I got mine, ya just can't be overly excited to get them in, as they "can be" a pain-in-the-*** because they fit like a glove.

Yes, it's to bad for the price of them....as well the extra pain that it takes to use stock or crap manifolds first during break-ins can really suck, but they are nice once in!!

Sorry..kinda got off topic!

What do you do when you are dynoing a new motor with w-2s and the only headder you have are a new set of tti w2 coated race header? Right now running eddies on and 416 made 583 hp@ 6500 and 544lb torque @ 5900. The eddies only flow 280@ 575 lift but drop off to 250@ 600 lift. I came accross a set of batten w-2 alum versions that were flowed 340@700 lift
I hope to get 700 plus out this combintion. What do you think?

As To The Second Part Of My Son's Question What Are The Chances Of The Exhaust System Off Of My 79 Dodge Van Working On The Duster? I Know That The Manifolds Will Work But What About The Cross Over Pipe ? The Van Has A Single Exhaust And Yes It Would Be A Pain In The Butt To Pull All Of This Off The Van And Then To Find Out It Wont Work !!!

Thanks,bob

Did ya ever think an exhaust could be such a pain!!
Hi Bob, unless someone has completed that (swap) I would think your not going to get a correct answer. Could be trial & error. I'm sure the van's cross-over pipe not being an a-body; you might run you into a few lining up problems, Not really sure. As stated earlier for only a break-in, if the vans single crossover just won't do, can you just use the manifolds and add your own mock-up extention? I know auto places sell those bendable exhaust sleaves.

Wish you luck

i'm with some of the rest. for the price you should be able to run bloe torches all day in them and not turn, but oh well. i've had mine on about 5-6 months and been to the track 4 times and a little street driving and on parts of the header they are starting to get a dull finish and discolor to parts of them. what can you do guess what, 90 days are up. they fit good and seem to work good but looks like for the price they would have a bullet proof coating. just an opinion though. by the way duster harry, i would like to see your dynoed combo posted. killer horsepower numbers. thanks.:salute:

I guess that would asking for too much if it just fit right ,we do have the exhaust off the slant may be i could use the muffler and pipes off that and like you said get the flex pipes from the auto parts .Hell whats 20 minutes of Mickey Mouse .

Thanks for all your input guys----Bob / Bryce

-
Back