Breather Cap Smoke

-

bob7four

Reaction score
Have the air filter off and the hose to the breather cap. Noticing a fair amount of smoke coming out of the cap. Carb is Shot and running rich pending a replacement. Any ideas guys?

Ritch will wash out your rings, get that carb replaced or set it up correctly

Engine is junk.

how about letting us know what engine, is it rebuilt, how many miles? Detail like that help. Was it hot, was it cold. When was the last oil change? Details man these cars are 50+ years old. My above answer is basic based on your level of detail. The more detail the better the answer.

Good way to damage your engine. Get the carb issue fixed, change oil and filter and report back. I wouldn't drive it until it's fixed . Have you replaced the fuel pump lately before your carb issue?

Guess it would help lol.
318 with 75,000 miles never rebuilt as far as I know. Oil hasn't been changed in a while as car does not get run often during resto. Smoke appears after it warms up.

2 probably unrelated issues

Have the air filter off and the hose to the breather cap. Noticing a fair amount of smoke coming out of the cap.

smoke from the breather would be blow-by, leaky rings, broken ring, scored cylinder walls

Carb is Shot and running rich pending a replacement.
carb running rich would / should not induce additional blow-by except for increasing damage as noted in earlier posts.

I would get the fat adjusted out of the carb and drive it on a good couple hours straight run time, it needs to be ran ... just one man's a pinion

Rings are stuck from carbon build up. Get it good and hot on a long ride after oil change and carb rebuilt correctly. Don't baby it. Heat and a good beating may free up the rings. Don't wind it up high the top rings may it a ridge and break. Long steady hard pulls until you know its cleaned out.

Rings are stuck from carbon build up. Get it good and hot on a long ride after oil change and carb rebuilt correctly. Don't baby it. Heat and a good beating may free up the rings. Don't wind it up high the top rings may it a ridge and break. Long steady hard pulls until you know its cleaned out.
A couple of sea foam treatments, maybe
I watched an old timer once pour small amounts of water in a running engine for carbon removal ???
Chek out youtube "decarbonizing your engine with water "

Last edited:
Valve stem seals are most likely toast which means tops of heads should be cleaned out and the balance of the seals are hopefully in the oil pan. Oh yeah photos work wonders photos are your friend!

Figured I would update ya'll. Replaced the pcv valve, did an engine flush and changed the oil. Seems to have taken care of the issue. Thanks for all the advice.

-
Back