Brenda Lee's Buildup/ 73 swinger 440 Street/Strip

-

swinginmy73

Reaction score
Here we go,

for those of you who haven't seen some of my ridiculous post's jumping from one end of my car to the other with questions regarding areas where i shouldn't even be anywhere near, my name is Don and I have finally decided to get the car I have always wanted. A Dart. Never really had a favorite year, although I am partial to my birth year of 68, also partial to, yes, the HEMI.

I have takenalmost every wrong turn imaginable in life so actually owning a Dart of any kind has always seemed out of reach.On my way to a camping trip, I saw my Brenda Lee! A primered up 73 Dart on the side of hill with shoe polish on the glass saying 600.00. I thought, now there's a car I can work with, cheap and well,cheap!

Have I mentioned I have zero mechanical abilities. So, not knowing what the heckI was looking at, I called the guy and he says it runs so I go look.

We ( He) screwed with that Slant six for 30 minutes while I can barely hold it together, when I finally realize the wiring is literally melted in half!
Does not matter to me,it's a 600.00dollar Dart and I am taking it home one way or another.

At the time I picked up Brenda Lee ( yes, Golden Earring's Radar Love inspired) I had only one vision, the paint and me lighting those tires up and paying traffic tickets, laughing the whole time. Had no idea how I was going to make it all happen, but it was a vision.

This website has taught me a lot in the last month or so, so here's where I am heading with my Brenda Lee:

440 w intake and Carb ( need to get used to the HP/Torque before I slap a built one in)
727 w/ reverse valve body and 2800 Stall Converter
Dana 60 3.73 gears posi and 35 spline axles( had no idea what it was when I bought it,sounded like it was important.
4 link suspension
have no idea what wheels or tires yet, that is way too confusing.

If any of that is worded wrong sorry!

I have stripped it down to basically a shell with glass and a trunk lid!

View attachment Brenda Lee's Homecoming.jpg

View attachment Engine Bayprimer.jpg

View attachment Getting Closer.jpg

anymore pics? And my Dart is a basket case as well but it will get there too. Most of my wiring has rotted away, its so brittle, it just cracks and falls apart. theres sections of wire held together inches apart like duct tape was a conduit. What direction do you plan to go with the car? It sounds like you wanna go cheap and fast. Straight line or just drive around fun? Im just curious. Ya gotta love the beat up ones, they just pull on your heart strings some how 8)

Welcome Don.You,ve joined the best group of guys and gals to help with questions,parts for your Dart.I,ve been here going on my 3rd year and in this time I,ve basically built 2 cars with lots of help from the members here.This past summer,I got my 66 Dart into the 10,s racing at the local dragstrip.Jump in and enjoy your stay!

P.S Checkout the forums,there,s many answers to any questions you have about your car.Good luck!Read,read and read some more,then you will know your car inside out LOL:read2:

0119111244.jpg
[/IMG]

0122111110.jpg

anymore pics? And my Dart is a basket case as well but it will get there too. Most of my wiring has rotted away, its so brittle, it just cracks and falls apart. theres sections of wire held together inches apart like duct tape was a conduit. What direction do you plan to go with the car? It sounds like you wanna go cheap and fast. Straight line or just drive around fun? Im just curious. Ya gotta love the beat up ones, they just pull on your heart strings some how 8)

My original plan was cheap and fast, however, I am learning quickly, they do not go hand in hand. I have hit a snag in the engine build. One of my heads has a crack in it and the 440 came out of an Rv which I am now aware of, may not have been the best candidate for a stock motor that has any nuts!

Yes I do love her she just sems to talk to me quietly, saying, just hang in there and we will have some fun in the end,promise

-
Back