Brewer's Performance - RAM-98375HD CLUTCH PACKAGE FOR 9.5" 273 V8 BELLHOUSING APPLICATIONS

-

superstock64polara

Reaction score
I have a 67 Barracuda with a 273 Commando & 4-speed. It has the 9.5" bellhousing and clutch at the moment. I'm building a 340/416 with mildly ported J heads that I intend to paint Chrysler red with 273 Commando valve covers and air-cleaner etc. The motor should make around 420hp and 480tq, the existing clutch will obviously not work with the increase in power. I have bought a number of parts from Brewer's Performance in the past, their service and products are excellent, they have a RAM clutch package that comes with a clutch/flywheel for 9.5" 273 V8 bellhousings rated for 500hp. I would prefer to get a clutch that fits in the existing 9.5" bellhousing.

I contacted Brewer's Performance and they tell me the following regarding this flywheel/clutch package, 'it’s an aggressive clutch, ceramic buttons on both sides of the disc. Low marcel and metallic material means it’s not as smooth as a rag disc. Some clutch chatter in low/rev is normal. Diaphragm style pressure plate, so not a lot of pedal effort. Most of the time the over-center spring under the dash will need to be removed.'

My questions are:

Doesn't anyone have any experience with the clutch driven on the street?
Is it a better option to try and source a larger 10.5" bellhousing and associated 10.5" clutch, pressure plate, z-bar, clutch fork etc.?

Product ID: RAM-98375HD
RAM-98375HD CLUTCH PACKAGE FOR 9.5" SLANT SIX/273 V8 BELLHOUSING APPLICATIONS

Thanks.

ram-98375hd_xl.jpg

Last edited:
I cannot imagine knowingly installing a clutch that may chatter under any circumstance. Mother Mopar went to a 10 1/2" clutch behind the V8s for a reason!

I cannot imagine knowingly installing a clutch that may chatter under any circumstance. Mother Mopar went to a 10 1/2" clutch behind the V8s for a reason!

Thanks 340demon72, I'm beginning to agree with you.

Does anyone have part numbers or a description of exactly what I need to swap over to a 10.5" clutch arrangement that will handle 450-500hp?

Thanks 340demon72, I'm beginning to agree with you.

Does anyone have part numbers or a description of exactly what I need to swap over to a 10.5" clutch arrangement that will handle 450-500hp?
You would be best to contact Brewer for that as well. You will need a different bellhousing and some different linkage.

On my 66 Valiant, I have a 340 4-speed, I wanted to run a 10 1/2 inch set up so I got their conversion kit for the early-a. I went with the Centerforce II and I love it, been in my car now 16 years and I drive it hard, I really like it! Smooth, nice pedal, so nice and easy to drive. I’m putting a Centerforce II in the wife’s car as well since it works so nice. With the amount of power you will have I would upgrade to the 10.5 bell.

On my 66 Valiant, I have a 340 4-speed, I wanted to run a 10 1/2 inch set up so I got their conversion kit for the early-a. I went with the Centerforce II and I love it, been in my car now 16 years and I drive it hard, I really like it! Smooth, nice pedal, so nice and easy to drive. I’m putting a Centerforce II in the wife’s car as well since it works so nice. With the amount of power you will have I would upgrade to the 10.5 bell.

Thanks 66340SEDAN, that's a great endorsement of the clutch package you used and Brewer's Performance.

-
Back