Brian’s stepped up again.

-
The crowds over on FB are going nuts over the Duster!

The “stock appearing drag racers” page.
Hundreds of comments, many of which are all proclaiming it’s not a 340!!

No ****………do you not have a clue what “stock appearing” means?

Went and read the comments. Most of those guys are mouth breathing retards. They don’t get it, and never will.

PRH, All those FB warriors have to do is get out the there little part number books, and it's going to break their hearts when they see that Brian's Duster is the legalese car in the class. I will bet those three Corvettes and the Chevelle your going to be hard pressed to find a factory part number on. Hell I tried to give Brian a 1000 cfm competition Thermo quad and he refused it because it's not a factory carb, I said who would know and it came down to he would know it was not a legal part. Same with the exhaust manifolds, the older ones breath better but that's not what came on a 71. I give him all the praise in the world, because he worked his butt off to make that car quick as it is and keep it legal.

Are you on there?

Best wishes you are the man...thanks for representing f.a.s.t. the best way I've seen since the white 71 duster that was cranking low 11's....I'm guessing extrusion honed exhaust manifolds to the max.....$$$$$ and then some more...

I’m more empressed by hooking those cars (I hear they shave the tires down to the west bars) than I am by the times. To many unanswered questions about engine size, cam lift and duration, etc. I know with no limits and not worried about expense you can do a lot of crazy stuff even to cast iron junk. I’m hearing over 422 cubic inches so guys are running 10.30’s at 3200 pounds with stock cranks.(360 cubic inches) Be interesting to hear a cost factor of a build like this. Special ring pacs, lightweight parts, unlimited porting of heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifold. The biggest challenge I would have would be forcing myself to think build for the topend instead of the first 60 foot.

Sensational job. Car is flying.
Love to know can specs, but I know that a secret.
Guessing a big roller on a wide LSA to numb the car on the bottom, and make it more stockish sounding( which is a class rule I think

Sensational job. Car is flying.
Love to know can specs, but I know that a secret.
Guessing a big roller on a wide LSA to numb the car on the bottom, and make it more stockish sounding( which is a class rule I think

Ya they do have a sound rule. I’m things the legal X pipe would help there too. Even the 2.5 inch pipes should help.

Most people enjoy watching the class.
Being up in the stands when they’re running, the comments you hear are often entertaining.
Some people know what they’re watching, most don’t.

The reason you don’t see more of them in competition is……. It’s harder than most think to get the cars to go fast and be legal…….. and it’s expensive…….. and you don’t win any money.
Most guys who stay with it are in it for the challenge/personal satisfaction, and the camaraderie.

Just about anything the typical hot rodder does to his car to improve the drag strip performance isn’t legal for fast.
Headers, intake, carb, tires, light wheels…… all that stuff they installed…….. gotta take it all back off.

The other misconception is……. Because they still look stock…… is people don’t understand that the better running ones are, for the most part…..”race cars”.
Not something you’re going down to the ice cream stand in.

Sure, some are still street/strip, but that type of combo will only get you so far.

It won’t get you to 130mph(or even close to it) in a small block entry.

Last edited:
I took the g/f for ice cream in it last year? No extrude honing the exhaust, I just hogged them out the old fashioned way. I don't know if anyone has looked at the passenger side exhaust manifold on a 71 340, but even getting as thin as I dared, the outlet is only a touch over 1 7/8". Can't speak for everyone, but my motor is .030 over, with a custom piston and pretty standard .043 ring pack, off the shelf crank and rods. I don't have a lot of money, I don't have the money to try 30 of things to see what is best. But I don't mind putting in the hours to tweak things to the best of my ability

I took the g/f for ice cream in it last year? No extrude honing the exhaust, I just hogged them out the old fashioned way. I don't know if anyone has looked at the passenger side exhaust manifold on a 71 340, but even getting as thin as I dared, the outlet is only a touch over 1 7/8". Can't speak for everyone, but my motor is .030 over, with a custom piston and pretty standard .043 ring pack, off the shelf crank and rods. I don't have a lot of money, I don't have the money to try 30 of things to see what is best. But I don't mind putting in the hours to tweak things to the best of my ability

So it’s a 4.070
bore 340 stock block

340 restoration block. All the weight of an r3 with none of the benefits. Yes 4.07"

If I had the money to start over with a new block, it wouldn't be the way I would go. I had too much money in this block when I found out it was a turd.

Right around there. Unfortunately added weight to the front and rear this year. Was in such a rush at the end to get the motor together, and then get the rear end straightened out I did not get a chance to get it on the scales.

-
Back