Bringing old bucket seats back to life

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
ok, i got some 66 barracuda bucket seats for my 64 off ebay. they need to be rebuilt though. has anyone done this before? ive never stripped the skins off a seat before. there is some rust. i need advice or tips on rebuilding them. i also need to drill new holes cause the 66 buckets are smaller then my 64 buckets. any tips on mounting them, as far as drilling new holes or getting them in strait would be helpful. thanks.

Locate and cut or bend the hog rings holding the "skins" to the frame, then pull the covers off. If you plan to recover them yourself make note of how the cushioning materials is laid in. Take the bare frames and have the rust sandblasted, repair any broken springs, wire supports. I had to fabricate some new pieces and weld them in. Give them a shot of black rustoleum or some other type of rust inhibing paint. As for the new cushioning I found quite a few ressourses on line for mildew resistent foams and such. Replacement covers, some NOS, I've come across. Set your cushioning in place pull the new covers on and hog ring back into place. you'll have to adjust your cushioning to get everything to lay right and make sure you have any hard edges covered with cushioning so as not to wear thru from the inside of your new covers.
hope this helps!

-
Back