Broadcast Sheet Repair and Storage

-

Cuda68Scott

Reaction score
Today I finally looked for my broadcast sheet after only owning the 68 Barracuda for 40 years! Found it in the second place I looked - under the passenger bucket seats. Anybody have some wisdom for fixing a broadcast sheet - I was thinking about using some glue stick and pasting it to a sturdy paper? These are the parts I have - all very brittle. Also found an old Gold Bond Stamp on the floor under my seat - remember those!

Attachments

• IMG_2872_edited-1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 244
  • Goldbond found under sead.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 243
I would not apply glue or tape to it as it could damage it even more. Maybe try a library and find out what they do to preserve old documents. I lightly steam mine with a screen about a foot over a stove with boiling water to soften the paper and press them in a couple heavy books for a day or so to get them flat as possible. I photo scan them to document and display then I put them in large zip-loc bags squeezing out as much air as I can and store them away from light to preserve them.

I found this with some interesting information on preserving old doc's

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~george/preserving_photos.html

Just go to a office supply store and buy a clear sleeve to put it in.Also make a color copy of it in case something happens to it.

Pretty cool that you found it in such a short time LOL. 40 years later you lucky dawg :thumbup:

Here's some good info on fixing & preserving them from Hamtramck Historical

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/BCSassembleAndPreserve.shtml

Thanks for the link. I would have had a less torn sheet if I would have pulled my car seat out first. I tried to do it by feel by reaching under the bucket and tugging on the sheet, and that's when it tore. After that I pulled the seat to get the rest of it, but that turned out to be a bit of a job since all the factory undercoating was caked over the seat bolts! Anyway, I just think these broadcast sheets are a cool piece of history for the cars and am glad I was able to retain most of it.

Another one preserved, this is the 'before' picture;

Attachments

• before.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 174
After;

Attachments

• after.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 178
-
Back