Broke down and ordered custom dash and rear package tray

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
@%#$@&*%$! We were working on an 87 Monte Carlo SS at work this week and he had a sweet custom dash. Then we ended up designing and making a custom gauge package tray for a 69 Camaro. (which I am going to have to race. It could go either way, this car is almost a GM clone of my Mopar motor set up.) I liked the look and wanted an electronic speedometer, so I broke down and called Fastlanewest and ordered my custom dash. I did order it with a 160 mph speedo rather than the 120 in the pic. It comes with all the sending units except for the speedo and the fuel sender. I ordered the speedo sender and the OE fuel sending unit works with the Autometer gauge. I can't wait to have an actual working speedometer!

I also took out my rear deck package tray because it was so beat up and stained. I figured I would make a new one and cover it in matching vinyl. I stopped at The Carb Shop to drop off a carb for building and the owner is a big Mopar guy. He got me in contact with Jim's Auto. They have an OE reproduction with or without speaker holes. Mine doesn't have speaker holes and cost $49.99. No way I was going to make one when they are available that cheap!

View attachment Custom dash with Autometer gauges.jpg
71-76 Duster/Demon/Dart/Valiant Black Dash Insert with Electric Sport Comp (3300) Autometer Gauges. (Does not fit in models that featured the Rally Dash). Made of composite plastic this cluster will completely replace the original instrument cluster, without cutting or changing the metal dash. Panel comes complete with an electric speedometer (0-160 mph), an electric tachometer (0-8000 rpm), an electric water temperature gauge (100-250 degrees) with sending unit, an electric oil pressure gauge (0-100 psi) with sending unit, an electric voltmeter and an electric fuel level gauge (73-10 ohms, the correct reading to match the original fuel sending unit-(original fuel sending unit not included). All gauges are lit from behind using standard bulb lighting. Dash may require aftermarket headlight and wiper switches. Comes complete with two green turn signal lights and a red high beam lights (not pictured). Does not include a wiring harness or the sending unit for the speedometer.

Fastlanewest has them in black, brushed aluminum and carbon fiber dash with a variety of gauges. Depending on what you want to do for dash and gauges, the price changes. I wanted electric gauges and black panel. It was $705. They make a wiring harness, but he said it was universal and you had to hardwire it to the car. I figured if I am hard wiring, I don't need the harness. Here is the Mopar link. http://www.fastlanewest.com/store/i...206_48&zenid=c6af6a6fa2bd28e62961489077df6b02

Thanks ....it is a nice chunk of change. But it is nice and clean looking. The people that had the Duster before us cut and spliced every wire under the dash. Looks like at one time small fire... the car is done and are not sure to go with a pain less or under the dash wiring kit from year one. O ya the dash cluster works but is also hacked up. I think I want to start fresh
What do you think. Thank you, Derek from Buffalo

I see dash harnesses from time to time on ebay. I have another dash cluster sitting in the garage. My problem is that this is the third speedo I have used and they all start growling eventually. I am tired of it and want to go with electric senders. If you go mechanical gauges you can get the same panel for $555. You have to run the tubing for the oil sender, a temperature probe and a speedometer cable, but it is a lot less. I like the look and it gets the aftermarket gauges out from under my dash and the tach off the steering column.

Thanks ....it is a nice chunk of change. But it is nice and clean looking. The people that had the Duster before us cut and spliced every wire under the dash. Looks like at one time small fire... the car is done and are not sure to go with a pain less or under the dash wiring kit from year one. O ya the dash cluster works but is also hacked up. I think I want to start fresh
What do you think. Thank you, Derek from Buffalo
I,m replacing my whole wiring in my 66 Dart race car with a wiring kit from Ron Francis.Pricey,but it's top of the line.Check out their site,you might like one of their Mopar kits.

It's only money. If I didn't spend it on the car I might be tempted to spend it on the old lady. Can't have that. Gauges are expensive. I was going to try and do my own dash, but I was looking at almost $1000 for the gauges I wanted. This makes it easier for me.

another (cheaper) option is to get a blank insert from fastlanewest and get some gauges from speedhut. all electronic and if you buy them as a package deal they come with all the wiring... worked for me!

If I had a Duster I'd probably buy that, yet 25 years ago I built this for my 64 Signet. If they had Speedhut gauges back then you would have seen them here, but they hadn't. I've ordered their Legacy GPS speedo and Tachometer to replace the 2 Autometers and in those 25 years, I haven't even finished the interior.

LT1047.jpg

Anyone know what size the guages are that fit the late A body panel? Fastlanewest does not specify.

Looking for a dash panel for a 69 A body guys.Anyone know of someone besides Peak that makes something?

-
Back