broke off tap--help

-

dickyeb

Reaction score
yesterday i decided to work on my 360 yesterday i have some little things to do on it. im running 2000 daruang exhaust manifolds and i notice they dont cover the air injection ports on my smog heads. well being the mechanic i am i busted out the tap set and going to tap the hole and stick small studs in the hole and plug them up. unfortuly the fist one i tried to tap i snap off half way in the hole. well i tried drilling and crushing the tap. i keep going im going mess somthing up. question is can i just j\b weld the hole and go about my busness or do i need to get it out. if i do how

thanks for any help bryan

If this is just the air injection hole, I'd say make sure it's dirt/grease free (hose it with brake clean of something) and then just JB Weld it up. The "wreckage" in the hole will plug it most of the way, the Weld will just eliminate any gasses that squeek by. I've tapped a bunch of them... Go slow, and I usually try to run a drill bit through the carbon first, then use the tap but don't threar the whole thing, and I buy these little allen headed grub screws for them. Run the screws up until they hit the partial threads and snug them, and they'll be fine forever.

I've always drilled mine first also, before tapping the holes. Just be sure to Loctite the grub screws when you install them.

Bill S.

thanks for the info. i will do that tonight hopfully get her running tonight

-
Back