Broke ring gear full throttle , any trans damage ?

-

mo-cars

Reaction score
Broke a couple of teeth of the crown wheel at the strip @ full throttle in 1st gear , is this likley to do any damage to my freshly built 904 .

Reason I ask is , The trans has developed a bad 1st - 2nd shift I would describe it as severe overlap . Has a Cope reverse manual VB .

I did a pressure test on the rear servo and got 168 psi @ 1000 rpm in low , reverse and neutral ! , thought it should be 0 psi in neutral .

Thoughts anyone .

Broke a couple of teeth of the crown wheel at the strip @ full throttle in 1st gear , is this likley to do any damage to my freshly built 904 .

Reason I ask is , The trans has developed a bad 1st - 2nd shift I would describe it as severe overlap . Has a Cope reverse manual VB .

I did a pressure test on the rear servo and got 168 psi @ 1000 rpm in low , reverse and neutral ! , thought it should be 0 psi in neutral .

Thoughts anyone .

gotta do something about the bad shifting anyway, I`d check it .

Tear it down for a look see, check the overrun clutch real good.

Do your leg and shorts a favor.Tear it down and fix it while it's in one piece. Check the springs and rollers.

^^^agreed^^^. Most likely damaged the sprague (over running clutch) by your description. If not repaired the least it'll do is ruin the case, and it could even grenade

It's a 904, the drum isn't going to explode unless he can twist it 9500rpm.

It's a good idea to take it apart and check the sprague.

It's a 904, the drum isn't going to explode unless he can twist it 9500rpm.

It's a good idea to take it apart and check the sprague.

OK thanks to all who replied , I took it apart and yes the sprag had failed . The tabs on the cage bent over allowing the rollers to fall over . Interestingly there was no problem at first ( i was driving it carefully due to breaking in a new gear set ) but one I started to give it a little more it was apparent there was a problem . All fixed now .

035.jpg

The definition of FUBAR'd

New springs and rollers and put it back together.

The definition of FUBAR'd

New springs and rollers and put it back together.
Yeah kinda , I put it back together with good used parts , wanna go racing next w/end , i'll replace it all on the next tear down .

Rule #1 in the Mopar racing/mod books if you break a hard part in
the driveline........DON'T run the trans again 'till you fix zactly that,
or "on the next run the transmission may explode!" Advice given
from the source to heed, your health/life is more important......

Rule #1 in the Mopar racing/mod books if you break a hard part in
the driveline........DON'T run the trans again 'till you fix zactly that,
or "on the next run the transmission may explode!" Advice given
from the source to heed, your health/life is more important......
After breaking the Diff I had nagging thoughts of checking the trans . but I assumed the problem occurred when a driveline part let go allowing the trans to free spin .
I should have read the advise more carefully

-
Back