broke valve cover bolt

-

Wes

67Cuda
Reaction score
Well I went and snapped a bolt off in the head. All the others were fine, not sure why this one broke.

What are my options? Easy-Out?

Drill it out very carefully, you may save the threads. Easy outs aren't as easy as they claim, but do sometimes work.

try to drill it out with a left handed drill bit first, most likely the bolt was bottomed out or already stressed

center punch before drilling so you don't mess up the threads. those valve cover bolts should only be tightened to 15-17 ft lbs

I have had no luck with easy out's. But I would try that first then if it does not work drill and tap it.

Try this first,use a sharp awl and try turning the broken piece out,I've used this numerous times with great results.

Center pumch it very carefully dead center and use a left handed drill bit. I've taken out countless broken bolts that way.

Easy outs tend to snap off. I usually drill slightly smaller then the threads then run a tap down through the hole.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the left handed bit first.

I was only torq'ing to 10 lbs

I agree with the awl advice. Try and walk it out using an awl (or small, pointed punch...) and SLOWLY walk it around with a LIGHT hammer. Between the fact that it's a small bolt and not deep you *should* be OK. Worst comes to worst, center-punch it dead center and drill with the left handed bit. Use an easy-out as a LAST resort.

Easy-out's are anything but at times.... :angry7:

stupid question .. where do you get left handed drill bits, and what are their purpose, other than getting out snapped bolts ??

Thanks

Kenny

It took drilling and using a bolt extraction bit but I finally got it out. Turns out there was still a tiny portion of the original bolt left in the hole. Me and the machinist are going to have a nice talk tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.

stupid question .. where do you get left handed drill bits, and what are their purpose, other than getting out snapped bolts ??

Thanks

Kenny

I got mine at NAPA a few yrs. back. Probably most any tool supplier will have them also. Mine came in a combo set with easy outs in case the bit didn't back the broken bolt out by itself you finish with the easy out. Their mainly just for removing broken bolts as far as I know. Since they turn opposite of the bolt threads most of the time they'll bite into the broken bolt and spin it right back out.

dumb question but didn't see it in the post did it brake flush with the head or 2 3 threads down?

-
Back