broken bolt extraction

-
need more imfo/ i like to cut a slot in the top and little heat and turn it out with a driver/the guy i work with likes to weld a nut on the end and turn them out that way to. drilling sucks but if you are stright it works .

90% of cases, aresol penatrant, a keen center punch, and a small hammer.
The other 10% require 1 of several different methods.

Have you tried left hand drills?

One of the best investments I made tool wise was lefthanded drillbits from slapon, about $30 for a set of 6, works great.Start with a small bit and then go up in size if the 1st one doesnt get it. If that doesnt work and there is enuf thread showing, weld a nut onto the threads and then try backing her out. Good luck!

Either way, soak it with lots of solvent ( I used PB Blaster) and tap it a bunch to loosen the bond it has with the metal it is bolted into. If you can weld a nut on it, that has always been best. The extraction stuff works good too. Just before the attempt, consider heating the metal it is stuck in.

Either way, soak it with lots of solvent ( I used PB Blaster) and tap it a bunch to loosen the bond it has with the metal it is bolted into. If you can weld a nut on it, that has always been best. The extraction stuff works good too. Just before the attempt, consider heating the metal it is stuck in.

I have also had luck with heat, but while it is still hot, I spay WD-40 on it. It seams to help draw the penetrant fluid in, a bit smokey and stinky, but seams to work!

I always use the method that Richard Nixon used to get the tick out of his ***. "Brute strength and shear desire". Had to put that in there. I use heat and sometimes do the welding of the nut to the bolt. You didn't say where it ws located. This might give us a better feel as to what would work best.
Small Block

thread is a total afterthought of a broken bolt in something else altogether. it just made me think that I haven't seen a recent thread on this in a couple of boards I read.
So, if we need a scenario, how about a broken head bolt? Bolt is inside the block bolt hole (to deep to weld), broken off uneven? I'm sure at some point we all go through this on something, automotive or not. If you have a great extractor tool, show us your weapon!

:cheers:

I weld a nut to it and then remove it! The weld is placed inside the nut so it only attaches to the bolt. The nut is over size and weld doesnt travel outside the nut.

thread is a total afterthought of a broken bolt in something else altogether. it just made me think that I haven't seen a recent thread on this in a couple of boards I read.
So, if we need a scenario, how about a broken head bolt? Bolt is inside the block bolt hole (to deep to weld), broken off uneven? I'm sure at some point we all go through this on something, automotive or not. If you have a great extractor tool, show us your weapon!

Too deep. well there goes the welding method...

Sounds like you end up using a helicoil to fix that one.You would have to break the bolt off eneven wouldn't you.:angry7::-D

If it's deep and uneven using a centerpunch to leave a deep divot and very steady drill hand can do it. If you're used to drilling metal you can start the hole on an angle then gradually bring the drill up to vertical. This has worked for me in the past to get the hole centered so as to be able to use an easy out.

If it's deep and uneven using a centerpunch to leave a deep divot and very steady drill hand can do it. If you're used to drilling metal you can start the hole on an angle then gradually bring the drill up to vertical. This has worked for me in the past to get the hole centered so as to be able to use an easy out.

Pretty tricky trying to get the centre punch in the centre of the bolt,some of those bolts are as hard as the punch.I hear ya on correcting the drill angle.Slow as you go,that;s for sure.I have drilled out bolts to the point where all that is left is the thread and I was able to tap/fish out the thread.8)

Pretty tricky trying to get the centre punch in the centre of the bolt,some of those bolts are as hard as the punch.I hear ya on correcting the drill angle.Slow as you go,that;s for sure.I have drilled out bolts to the point where all that is left is the thread and I was able to tap/fish out the thread.8)

Major pain in the behind, that's for sure. You know it Dave, slow as you go...

Left handed, Napa can order. Start small. Usually, as you get to close to original width, it just spins out.

dont break the bolt! sometimes if the bolt wont loosen try tightening it a little, seems counter productive but it works, once it starts moving you can slowly back it out, with plenty of PB,WD, liquid wrench, if its broken off in the hole a dremmel can be used to make a pilot for a drill bit to bite without walking, or a sleeve with the O.D. of the hole can be used to keep the drill bit centered in place, then hopefully the easy out doesnt break

how many times have you used care in getting the hole drilled, got the ez out started and SNAP?

Too many times, But a torch blows out the easy (harder steel) and start over. Cast iron doesn't burn.

Question: Why didn't anyone mention the most important thing in trying to get these bolts out?

Answer: Lots of prayers

anybody tries an impact screwdriver? punch a centre point,drill a hole, pop in the philips tip and kaboom! if you can reach the broken bolt. works on a few things I have tried it on, but albiet, non were as tough as my scenario head bolt.

-
Back