Broken bolt in head

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
Ok, I was changing out a bad lifter on my 318, and on the last bolt for the rocker arm, it broke. Got the proper easy out and it broke also. I have the head off and need to bring it to the machine shop to get fixed. Question is should I just get this problem fixed or since I am so far in get the heads redone,or replace with different heads, or ???. I am into it this deep and don't want to waste the effort so far. What can I do while I'm in here at this point. Any opinions will help

The motor from what I can see looks really good, seems to have been rebuilt and has 134k miles. I went into it for a noisy lifter, which all looked really good no wear, cam has no wear, cylinder walls look great. Just don't want to waste the time into the break down with the engine apart this far.
Thanks,

The motor from what I can see looks really good, seems to have been rebuilt and has 134k miles. I went into it for a noisy lifter, which all looked really good no wear, cam has no wear, cylinder walls look great. Just don't want to waste the time into the break down with the engine apart this far.
Thanks,

Post some pictures. I would at least have both heads shopped plus have hardened valve seats and new seals installed if the seats haven't been installed already.

If you've had machining done to the heads ^^^^^^^^like above then I'd go ahead and see if you can get it repaired. Otherwise my best advice is to go pick up a pair off of craigslist and have what Oklacarcolleto said done to them. You can pick up a set of rebuildable heads for like 50 to 150 off of craigslist and with machine work your looking at probably 500 to 600 all in if even that.

Machine shop in my area wants $150 to look at it, the guy said he doesn't want to sugar coat it but since the easy out is in there he may have no luck, and still charge me the $150. What heads can I get that I can bolt on not needing to go the machine shop. Is there any straight out the box that will work.

There are the Edelbrock ones but that's like 1k or more ;P

Your best bet for stock would be to find some one selling a pair, or like I said before to find a pair and have them rebuilt.

150 to remove a bolt even if he just looks at it and can't? If there's more shops in your area call around and see what they all want for it. When I worked in a machine shop in high school that'd be like like 50 bucks, if we did successfully otherwise we'd just hand you it back. Sorry about the bad luck :(

I think you need to find another machine shop.

Yeah, new shop. Easy outs suck, use a left handed bit. As far as the easy out- torch, that easy will blow out 1st, then the rest of the bolt hot enough to break loose, Then get grade 8, and don't torque them to that 35 spec; it is wrong.

There are the Edelbrock ones but that's like 1k or more ;P

Your best bet for stock would be to find some one selling a pair, or like I said before to find a pair and have them rebuilt.

150 to remove a bolt even if he just looks at it and can't? If there's more shops in your area call around and see what they all want for it. When I worked in a machine shop in high school that'd be like like 50 bucks, if we did successfully otherwise we'd just hand you it back. Sorry about the bad luck :(

That would be a rip off. Does the heads already have hardened seats? If so I would see about finding a resonable shop to get the bolt out. If not then I would buy another matching head to what you have or find a set of heads.

.................they will use what is called MINI DUCTOR.............sweet tool.......take it to a machine shop, they do that kind of work for a living..............kim.........

Any big machine shop should have a "tap burner". I hate Easy Outs, especially the Chinese ones. When they break off, as often happens, you are worse off. Better to drill the bolt as best you can center it, then peel it or tap it out.

Any one from South East Louisiana area please let me know where I can get this done.

Thanks,

Just search machine shops in your area and ask if they do laser bolt removal. If you have a welder, set a nut for a 3/8 bolt on it and weld inside the nut to the broken stud and put a wrench on it while its warm

I just use carbides on the mill to get broken taps and EZ-outs, out. I don't own an EZ out and toss 'em immediately.

-
Back