Broken Kickdown Lever ??

-

mo-cars

Reaction score
Any Idea what caused this to happen to my 904.

20180112_185248.jpg

The band adjustment was too tight and there is no flex in that heavy duty strut. Just make sure everything else is ok, replace the broken lever, and get correct adjustment spec for whichever ratio you put back in it.

I think it was just crap metal or a cheap aftermarket part.
Look at the thickness of the metal where the pin goes through compared to these.

transkckdwnlvr1.jpg

I was thinking the oppisite, to loose. Slack caused it to Snap. And looks like inferior part.

My KD Band adjustment procedure is 72 in-lbs , back of 2 1/4 .

The broken lever is an A&A part , 4.2 ratio . Think i'll replace it with a billet one from TSR.

Just a follow up . Replaced broken lever with a stronger billet one still 4.2
I used a method that I came across in Tom Hand's Torqueflite book , Quote "set band to 1/4 inch arm travel at servo while pan is off " un-quote . I used compressed air to activate the servo because VB wasn't on , that ended up giving me a back off of 1 3/4 turns , so that's what i went with and it feels good on the road , It all seems to depend on lever ratio , the spec i had beed using 2 1/4 turns was for a 3.2 lever .

After seeing this thread and seeing how thin my 4.2 lever looked, compared this broken one and compared to the nice beefy parts TrailBeast posted, I ordered a couple of the billet levers as well. Big difference. Top is billet 4.2 lever from TSR Racing. Bottom one is going in the garbage.

IMG_20180308_180925.jpg

Wow, I never seen 1 like the bottom pic b4 with the hole that thin on one side, it wouldn’t be the right ratio either. Kim

-
Back