broken pin on rocker-arm need help

-

Mopar2

Reaction score
driving my 68 dart 340 last night it developed a ticking noise when doing a small hole-shot (less than 5K rpms). Drove home and pulled valve cover this morning and the little pin that sits ontop of valve spring was sitting on head. Brass connector piece is MIA? My question is how should this be fixed? Do I need to buy a push-rod also in case this one got bent? Can I just buy one rocker-arm or do I need all new? Also where do you guy reccomend I buy from since I have NO clue what brand is currently on car to match them up, I do know it has hydraulic lifters.

thanks

Are you talking about a roller tip rocker? If you could post a picture that would be very helpful.

Also i hope the brass piece is not one of the spring keepers. If that's the case you very narrowly avoided a catastropic failure.

heres a picture of the piece in question, please let me know how someone like I should go about fixing this, Im assuming I take entire rocker arm assembly off and carry it to napa and have them order right parts? (the brass piece was what used to hold the little pin to the rocker arm, didnt look very hard for it but didnt see it in open)

Attachments

• dartrockerarm2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 238
Pull the pushrod out and roll it on a flat surface. You can tell if its bent.Where is the roller for the rocker arm? Check the top of the valve stem carefully that it isnt beat up. Still dont understand about the brass piece. I thought those roller pins were press fit and peaned once in. I myself would buy a good set of rockers that arent going to fall apart. You narrowly missed a catastrophe. I broke a rocker, the lifter jumped out of the hole into the valley and the cam grabbed the push rod and wound it thru the block to the oil pan ruining the lifter bore breaking a piston skirt and cracking the cylinder wall.Count your blessings and buy good parts.

Pull the pushrod out and roll it on a flat surface. You can tell if its bent.Where is the roller for the rocker arm? Check the top of the valve stem carefully that it isnt beat up. Still dont understand about the brass piece. I thought those roller pins were press fit and peaned once in. I myself would buy a good set of rockers that arent going to fall apart. You narrowly missed a catastrophe. I broke a rocker, the lifter jumped out of the hole into the valley and the cam grabbed the push rod and wound it thru the block to the oil pan ruining the lifter bore breaking a piston skirt and cracking the cylinder wall.Count your blessings and buy good parts.

I am guessing by looking at the pin on the other rockers they look like they are held on by some brass colored piece that goes through the center of it. I have no clue how they are held together. The roller for the rocker arm I set ontop of rockerarm for picture so people could see the part that broke off.

I am guessing by looking at the pin on the other rockers they look like they are held on by some brass colored piece that goes through the center of it. I have no clue how they are held together. The roller for the rocker arm I set ontop of rockerarm for picture so people could see the part that broke off.

The piece laying on top is the pin that runs thru the roller. The roller itself is not shown. Also if that pin snapped there could be a piece of it somewhere also.............Im searching right now to try and find that brand of rocker......be back later.

upon closer inspection, the piece laying on arm in picture in the center part of the roller pin, the outside part that rides on spring was ontop of head also! Will replace push-rod and rocker-arm then fire her up and hope I didnt bend a valve since I was under 5k rpms when this happened. And there is NO brass anything dont know what I was seeing, maybe shinny metal covering in golden brown oil making me think it was brass

I'd be pretty concerned about where that roller went.
Hopefully all the way to the pan.

Oops, just re read that you found both.

From what i can find those rockers are either a early style Compcams Magnum (no longer available i believe) or a chinese knock off, also may be hard to find. I don't believe they are bronze bushed either.
Member "mullinax95" has some knowledge of those i think. Maybe he'll be on or you could PM him. Good luck.

can i just buy http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-1622-1/?rtype=10
and run one in place of old one?

Summit's photo is generic.....here is what they should actually look like..
http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/comp-cams-1622-16-ultra-pro-magnum-chrysler-shaft-rocker-arms.html/

I suppose you could try to substitute 1 of them if you could get the spacing correct so the roller is centered on the valve tip.

IMO, THIS WOULD BE A TEMPORARY FIX ONLY! If it's happened to one, how long before another and another and another.....you get my point.

You got lucky this time with that rocker failure. A lot of times the retainer keeper comes loose, valve drops into cylinder, and then the whole engine is destroyed. I would get rid of those cheap Chinese rockers before something really bad happens.

doesnt even look like the person who installed the parts did the side to side clearance with shims. looks like a bad combo of shoddy work and shoddy parts. i'd pull em off and get a set of factory adjustable rockers.

I agree I'd replace ALL of the rockers... with a quality product. You were very fortunate this time, why tempt fate?

I guess from the initial post, you found that your rockers aren't a factory design and are of questionable heritage and reliability. New roller rockers are quite expensive. Unless you are set on such high dollar after-market parts, your choice is either original stamped metal rockers or factory adjustable rockers from a ~pre-68 273 small block. Used prices are ~$20 former and ~$75 later for a complete set w/ rocker shafts. There are also new adjustable rockers on the market (Crane I recall).

I guess from the initial post, you found that your rockers aren't a factory design and are of questionable heritage and reliability. New roller rockers are quite expensive. Unless you are set on such high dollar after-market parts, your choice is either original stamped metal rockers or factory adjustable rockers from a ~pre-68 273 small block. Used prices are ~$20 former and ~$75 later for a complete set w/ rocker shafts. There are also new adjustable rockers on the market (Crane I recall).

I agree Bill, and will add, especially if they go stamped non adjustables, pushrod length will have to be checked also.

-
Back