broken reverse band?

-

bbrroowwnn

never re member
Reaction score
I have a 1972 dart that drives forward in all gears and shifts fine.....just no reverse...I bought it that way so I have no history.....slant six/904......So I figured the piston is cocked in the bore, low/reverse band broke, adjustment bolt broke, or something similar.....Dropped the pan today but there was no parts in the pan at all.......just the lever is hanging down like the same in this thread
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=223663&highlight=low+reverse+band

My question is where do I go from here...The part the adjuster bolt pushes agiainst is still there but is loose....I can wiggle it back and forth....Is this the end of the band itself? I know if the band actually broke the tranny has to come out....I was just wondering if it really broke though or something just came apart that I can't see.....where to go from here? thanks

Here are two pictures....In the second pic at the end of my fingertip I can wiggle this part that the adjuster screw pushes against, as it is free....Is this the actual band end? strut? or just a lever that pushes against the strut? can't really see up in there....next step?

<a href="http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/bbrroowwnn/mopar%20parts/DSC00001_zpse9f2193e.jpg" target="_blank">

<a href="http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/bbrroowwnn/mopar%20parts/DSC00002_zpsf08a2cae.jpg" target="_blank">

I hate to tell you but it definitely looks like a band broke. I am by no means an expert. Did you look to make sure the piece isn't laying on top of the filter. It's possible that from where ever you got the trans they had been in there and removed the pieces. You can look up and see if the anchor on the band is still there. Use a bright light. Just some thoughts. Someone will come along with more knowledge.

Yes that part your finger is on is part of the lever assy.
You have a broken rear band, and the busted off end of the band is probably still up in there.
I HAS to come out and be completely diassembled to fix it.

Yes that part your finger is on is part of the lever assy.
You have a broken rear band, and the busted off end of the band is probably still up in there.
I HAS to come out and be completely diassembled to fix it.

Ok thanks...Maybe I will just swap the tranny out with another....

Sometimes the band lugs snap off and sometimes this part breaks.
I your case I would say the band either jumped off, broke off the end, or broke the legs of this part.
Usually if the legs are broken the peices will be in the pan.
It's possible that it jumped off from misadjustment but pretty rare due to the stiffness of the band.

I'm going to take another close look at your pictures and may post a specific or two about it back here.

Ok, the part that is circled in red on the exploded pic is the part that you can barely see the end of in your picture.
You are seeing the bottom bigger end with the pin through it in your pic.
The band end you can't see hooks onto the crossbar of it.

The part you have your finger on is part 917-1 and the pin is part 917-4

There IS a small strut in this last picture and if it popped out in can end up on top of the valvebody if you don't find it in the pan.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 252
  • bandstrut.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 274
  • transmission-136.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 244
This should help with the understanding of what goes where.

Attachments

• transmission-136.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 261
One more thing.
Sometimes you can find that strut on top of the VB with your fingers without taking the VB down. (sometimes) :)

here at the end of my screwdriver is the part I was talking about that is loose and almost seems to want to fall out but wont no matter where I put the lever....Or is this just the other side of 917-1........Also, I can touch the band itself with my fingertips and spin it around the "drum"? sorry, don't know if that is the correct terminology....I felt on top of the valve body but couldn't feel anything

That look like 917-2 the missing piece that goes between the lever and the band.It possible it was loose and popped out.
Drop the valve body and see if the band is broken.If nothing is broken but it back together adjust both bands.

That look like 917-2 the missing piece that goes between the lever and the band.It possible it was loose and popped out.
Drop the valve body and see if the band is broken.If nothing is broken but it back together adjust both bands.

That is what I was hoping for, maybe just band adjustment was too loose and popped out....I thought maybe this piece I was seeing was the strut....If I take down the valve body will I be able to see what is going on for sure and put the band back together without taking the tranny down?

That is what I was hoping for, maybe just band adjustment was too loose and popped out....I thought maybe this piece I was seeing was the strut....If I take down the valve body will I be able to see what is going on for sure and put the band back together without taking the tranny down?

It's a little bit of a PIA, but if you loosen the band adjuster all the way you can get that back in place.
If I remember right you put it in the slot on the band first and then push the other end of it into the slot on the lever with a screwdriver.
Then adjust it to spec and put it all back together.

Well it is definitely a broken band....broke the ear off one side...I can see the rough casting edge where it broke...so the piece must be up on top somewhere.....so it has to come out

4 hours and some cussing and its out...LOL....Off to my tranny guy for a total rebuild....He said the reverse band is the last thing you take out of the trans, so you might as well rebuild it all....

-
Back