Broken seat springs

-

C39

Reaction score
I am re-doing the bench seats on my 71 swinger, and found 3 broken springs. Been studying the problem, and have read that they cannot be satisfactorily repaired so replace them, they can be welded, a sleeve can be fashioned to go over the break and wired to hold it together, and read that a section can be "sistered" into place. What's the consensus?

measure the length of the spring and ask for some from a donor seat in aprts wanted. A pic of what you need might help also.

might try the connectors that sell at home depot that hold 2 pieces of the metal rods, like dowl rods. they are the ones without threads. they have diff sizes. its slides over and has a set screw inbedded on each size. might work

might try the connectors that sell at home depot that hold 2 pieces of the metal rods, like dowl rods. they are the ones without threads. they have diff sizes. its slides over and has a set screw inbedded on each size. might work

That's funny. I was thinking about something like that but had no clue where to find it, other than in my Erector Set from when I was a kid. Both the Erector Set and my childhood are LONG GONE! THANKS!

Can also try the crimp type they use in fence repair. Also in different sizes. Slide in each end and crimp together.

Can also try the crimp type they use in fence repair. Also in different sizes. Slide in each end and crimp together.

Thanks for yet another excellent idea. What kills me is the junk yards don't value the interiors on these cars enough to roll up the windows on them, but as soon as you show some interest, those seats with their dry-rotted covers, crumbly foam, and soaked cotton are worth their weight in gold, even though the spring units are all rusted to thunder.

I've got a '70 Duster front seat frame sitting out in the scrap pile. I had the same problem and junked the seat. I'll see if I can't pull 3 or 4 springs off it for you.

If you are talking about the the seat springs that are the base of the seat, I repaired mine using 5/16 metal fuel line. Cut the correct length to shove the hole into the broken spring ends and a little JB weld to hold them.

If you are talking about the springs that hold the forward/rearword adjustment, I got new ones the correct length at ACE hardware,

I just took the seat out of my parts car and swiped springs from it. A trip to the junk yard will get you what you need for cheap. You can also visit any decent upholstery shop and they can sell you some new springs.

-
Back