Broken Valve Spring

-

Gator

Mopar or No Car
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a quickie question, Today my intake valve spring, in my 340, for my # 7 cylinder collapsed and is now in pieces so my question is can this spring be replaced without tearing off the head? With todays technology I was thinking that their is a way but if I have to tear it down then so be it. I dont want to start tearing it down only to come and find out that it could be replace while still in the car...

Yep, just like hellion said...... there's a kit to use compressed air to hold the valve in place while changing the spring , or you can do what I did once, and put that cylinder's piston at the bottom of the compression stroke, get a long rag that will fit in the spark plug hole, leaving the end of the rag hanging out of the hole, and turn the engine over till that rag is stuffed up against the valve, holding it in place! Hope this helps.....

Yep, just like hellion said...... there's a kit to use compressed air to hold the valve in place while changing the spring , or you can do what I did once, and put that cylinder's piston at the bottom of the compression stroke, get a long rag that will fit in the spark plug hole, leaving the end of the rag hanging out of the hole, and turn the engine over till that rag is stuffed up against the valve, holding it in place! Hope this helps.....

Wow never heard it done this way. I guy just told me on the phone about the compressed air... Hmmmm he also said that if you rings are weak that the compressed air could blow by the compression rings causing more damage.. I really like the rag trick.. There must be a special tool to remove the locking ring on top of the spring... Hey thanks kaybugsdad for the tip... I may just have to try that...

There are no "rings", just a valve lock, basicly a split bushing. It may be slightly wedged on but once you get the rope or air holding the valve up you may just tap the retainer. Cover your oil return holes so you don't lose the valve locks in your motor.

If the spring broke, did the piston hit the valve head? I'd make sure the valve's not bent. You can pull the valve up fully and see if it's exactly the same height as the other exh valves... If not, it's bent.

Wow never heard it done this way. I guy just told me on the phone about the compressed air... Hmmmm he also said that if you rings are weak that the compressed air could blow by the compression rings causing more damage.. I really like the rag trick.. There must be a special tool to remove the locking ring on top of the spring... Hey thanks kaybugsdad for the tip... I may just have to try that...

Use rope, not a rag. A 2 foot piece of 1/2 in rope, and leave a tail hanging out so you don't loose it in the cylinder

If the spring broke, did the piston hit the valve head? I'd make sure the valve's not bent. You can pull the valve up fully and see if it's exactly the same height as the other exh valves... If not, it's bent.

Moper ---- I am not 100% sure that the piston did not hit the valve but I do know that the spring retainer is still locked onto the top of the valve. I will surely check the valve out once I get the spring off.
Badsport ---I think the rope is an excellent idea. A friend of mine has all the tools to do this job with...
Thanks guys for your input....

-
Back