Bronze distributor shaft gear wear

-
You’re a little late……believe I’ve already found a melonized gear.

I still want to know why the bronze gear wore out so fast- maybe you have an idea why?

You’re a little late……believe I’ve already found a melonized gear.

I still want to know why the bronze gear wore out so fast- maybe you have an idea why?
Your answer(s) lie(s) with you. Your unique engine, assemblage of parts, how they interacted with each other. You would have had to check endplay of the cam, how the dist/pump gear meshed with the cams gear, etc etc.
You would have to agree it’s not a one size fits all answer. If you checked and verified during assembly “maybe” you would have seen something. Maybe not.
Did you put it all back as it was and recreate to see what goes on? Only you can find the answer.

Didn’t assemble this one so most is unknown other than it was supposed to be assembled by a very experienced Mopar engine guy. I’ve made a lot of measurements, more to still do, but so far nothing stands out. I was hoping I’d missed something simple…..

In any case I really appreciate all the help and suggestions!

Didn’t assemble this one so most is unknown other than it was supposed to be assembled by a very experienced Mopar engine guy. I’ve made a lot of measurements, more to still do, but so far nothing stands out. I was hoping I’d missed something simple…..

In any case I really appreciate all the help and suggestions!
Only thing I can come up with is the cams gear teeth have edges that shaved on that bronze gear when meshed as that’s what I have read elsewhere as occurring when I was looking for gears to run on my billet roller. That’s why I mentioned early on about some having radiused them. Removing the edge on the cams gear teeth. You have any bore gauges big enough to measure that bushing before chewing it up to remove? A caliper to measure the shaft?

I didn't read this whole thread but just wanted to let you know that I just got both a BB and SB melonized gears from Hughes this week

I believe I can borrow a small bore gauge tool, that’s a great idea, thanks! I used a borescope to look at the bushing inside as well as the cam gear. I don’t believe any substantial material was removed from the bushing, you can see scratches though. Can’t see any sharp edges on the cam gear but I need to look closer. The wear pattern on the bronze gear shows it was meshed properly but I still need to check cam movement.

Great news on the Hughes gears, I ordered from them and was hoping they would be in stock soon. Maybe mine will ship this week.

[1] I know people who use the standard steel gear with a steel roller cam & have zero problems. You could try it. If it wears, ign timing will retard. So check timing regularly.
[2] You can remove the bush by removing the oil pump & using a correctly sized drift. Engine might need raising on one side.

Oops! Point [2]. Sorry, forgot this was a small block, not BB.

Thanks Bewy! I could drop the pan and do the bushing from the bottom but headers make it difficult……

Here's a follow up: I received the melonized gear and shaft from Hughes, it is very well done. The melonized gear itself reflects light with a black and bluish color, looks very smooth and slippery. The machined shaft is well done also, I'm happy with these parts. I measured and checked everything including the bushing in the engine. The bushing had scratches on it but measured the same as a new one, the scratches were not deep as the oil slots in the top were the same size as new. I have the old broken block engine so I decided to practice on removing the bushing from that one. After trying several different blind bushing pullers it was my experience none would even budge that bushing. It was suggested to use a tap and thread the bushing then use a bolt and slide hammer, or drop the pan and oil pump and use a drift and I think those may work. But since the existing bushing was measuring out undamaged and since it's a new engine that I don't want to get any more metal inside I elected to use the existing bushing.

Closely inspected the cam gear with a bore scope I borrowed- sure enough there were some bronze fragments on it. I used a stiff cleaning brush with grease to capture the bronze fragments so the cam gear was free of chips, etc. Installed the new gear and checked play- it was as good as new with no play. I also changed oil and filter- it originally had 20W50 Brad Penn and the short WIX filter. I switched to 10W40 and the 51515 full size Wix filter in hopes of taking some load off the gear. On a cold start it has about 70 psi oil pressure even with the 10W40 drops to around 20 after it warms up (separate mechanical gauge). Put a few miles on it today and it's running well. I will check the distributor for play the next time I go to drive it- that will tell the tale if there's wear on the new gear or not.

I'll post again after it has some miles on it and let all know how its working out.

I didn't read this whole thread but just wanted to let you know that I just got both a BB and SB melonized gears from Hughes this week
What did they look like.I ordered a sb one in January,from Hughes.They sent me a bb one by mistake.They replaced it with a sb one on there shipping dime.both were just flat black kind of velvety looking.The only melonized gear I’ve seen was gm,It was covered in spots that were lighter in color.

-
Back