Brother has offered to help put clutch in the wagon

-

timbolia

65Wagon
Reaction score
Hi All,

So my brother is coming down from San Francisco next weekend, the 11th. He asked if I wanted to do the clutch while he was here. It sounds like I should take him up on it, but I have none of the parts yet. What should I get? and does this sound like something we could do in the 2 days he is here? He has replaced clutches on his 65 Mustang before so he has some idea of what he is doing, I am learning everything as I go.

For those of you who don't know my car, it is a 65 Dart wagon with a slant six and a hurst 4 speed, the PO thought it was from a 68 or 69 Dart. Also money is always an issue, so best value is needed. The car is my daily driver, I do not need to race it or anything, I drive 6 miles each way to work and that is about it.

Also should I do the U-joints at the same time? I have very few tools and just a scissors jack for changing tires.

Opinions welcome

Tim

With only a sissors jack, I would guess your biggest problem is getting the car high enough off the ground. Even my RR, which surely must have "sat" higher than your little car, I liked to get the front end up nice and high, AND THEN take the floor jack and some blocks for safety, and just block up the rear enough to "get some weight off" the rear springs, IE the rear tires on the ground, and jack the body up a little.

BUY SOME RAMPS if nothing else, and work ONLY on paved / concrete surface. If you can afford it some jack stands. I'd shoot for a junkyard bumper jack if you cannot afford a better jack.

Many parts stores rent/ loan or "sell cheap" "alignment tools" to align the disk to the flywheel. I find it helpful--you can do this on some boxes--to plunk the box into reverse and then any forward gear you can get it to go into (shifter removed). This will lock the shaft to the box so that as you are wiggling the box into the bell, you can twist /rock the box a little to engage the clutch splines

You have a factory manual? There were a couple posted lately right here

You do have to pull the driveshaft, and that would give you a good time to check the U joints by carfully moving them around out of the car. With no idea of the miles on them, I would not just blind replace them

Frankly, anymore, I have no idea what to recommend for clutch brand

Be sure to get the disk in "right side out" which usually means the "fat" side away from the flywheel. Do NOT be tempted to "not" replace the throwout bearing, and examine the pilot for wear. Clean it out if you can and put a dab of heavy grease in there not too much.

Thanks, Yeah ramps sound good. I will be working in a covered driveway. I have a digital shop manual, I will give that a look too.

Man I wish you lived closer!
Changing a Clutch and U Joints shouldn't take more than 4 hours for the experienced.
And follow all advice from 67Dart273 above.
Good luck with your 1st Clutch.
Call me if you get stuck on something.
Most parts stores have a "Clutch Service Pack" type deal for around $150.00 or so.

Later,
Bruce B.

I wish you were closer too! Also it seems like there are always parts I need in Florida. But If my bro, has done this before and it is his offer, I think we will be OK. I will get those jack stands though.

Tim

-
Back