Budget 440 build question

-

d55dave

Reaction score
I am just in the process of doing an RB conversion to the 55 in my signature picture. I want to have this car running soon.....my son is using it for his high school grad so I need to get going. Here is what I have done so far, install a Ford 8.8 with 3.73 trac lock, 4 wheel disc brake conversion and fabricate and install engine and trans mounts. The budget is drying up and I need some advice on how to proceed with the 440 build. I intend to drive the car as much as possible this summer, and do some bracket racing. I would like to run in the 12's.

I have the following; 2 circa '76 440's and 727's, one stock converter, one good 10" converter that came out of my buddies race Duster, truck headers, a Holley Street dominator intake, a holley 750 vac sec, and an old Engle cam that is very nice, P/N he3844bl,INT .536" EXH .540",238 244 @ .050, 108 centerline.

My thoughts were to pull the pans on the 440's, pick the one that shows the least amount of bearing and cylinder wear, change the timing chain, shorten the advance curve on the distributor, do a factory electronic ignition upgrade and go with it.I do not intend to pull the heads. I will also do a compression test in picking the best candidate.

Should I stick with the stock cam or put the Engle in? Is it too big? Will it Rev to 5500 with stock valve springs or is this a bad idea? Stock or high stall converter?

I don't mind the lumpy idle and loose converter.....what will perform the best? Should I advance the stock cam, the Engle? How much?

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas!

Attachments

• 1459617983225-992778805.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 1459618002354-1819988122.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 1459618015574-809220718.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 181
The problem is going to be in your heads if you want to run that cam. Stock springs won't handle the lift and guide clearance may get close with stock stem seals. In a heavy car advancing the cam 4 degrees would be a good idea. Otherwise the parts would work together just fine with the smaller converter. Sweet looking car!

That is a VERY cool car. I am putting a 440 RB into a 1965 Dodge Dart and I am looking at your headers. What brand are they and do you know the part number. Would like all the help you can give me. Thanks,and MoPar to ya!

The problem is going to be in your heads if you want to run that cam. Stock springs won't handle the lift and guide clearance may get close with stock stem seals. In a heavy car advancing the cam 4 degrees would be a good idea. Otherwise the parts would work together just fine with the smaller converter. Sweet looking car!

The parts would work together with the stock cam or the Engle? I am unsure of the weight but I don't think it is light y any means....

Thanks!

That is a VERY cool car. I am putting a 440 RB into a 1965 Dodge Dart and I am looking at your headers. What brand are they and do you know the part number. Would like all the help you can give me. Thanks,and MoPar to ya!

Hey, thanks! The headers I bought used. They came out of a truck with a 440, and I suspect are very old. They are stamped "cragar" on the flanges, apparently cragar used to sell headers. They closely resemble these.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/big-13504flt

They actually fit my car quite well with a couple of gentle dents but I doubt would work on your Dart.....

The higher lift Engle could present the problems. If you want to run in the 12s you will need a cam like that though (and some good gears, 3.73 may not be enough with your weight). Time to take a look at the heads with a spring off.

-
Back