Buffer

-

mikesduster

Reaction score
Im looking to get a nice but used buffer so I can buff my car. Whats a good buffer to get??? Not looking to spend alot of money but want a good unit.

I have been using Makita electric buffers for years, replacable brushes. This is my choice. Hit the pawn shops first! I have had my last one for 6 years and is used on a daily basis. They run around $250 new so $75 up would be a good price.

I have one of those really good Milwaukee buffers, and paid top price for it.

For years I bought those cheap ones and rubbed through the paint on a few cars.

You guys use the cotton pads or the foam pads?? My duster was wet sanded/buffed when my cousin painted it about 7 yrs ago. I just need a nice buffer to polish it,not really cut and buff.

Typically the wool pads are used for agressive cutting, then you would switch to a foam pad for polishing and swirl removal.

You guys use the cotton pads or the foam pads?? My duster was wet sanded/buffed when my cousin painted it about 7 yrs ago. I just need a nice buffer to polish it,not really cut and buff.

There is actually two different waffle pads. White and black. If you are looking to just spit shine it use the black pad and some 3m final glaze. Now if there are some scratches that are noticable you will need to use a wool pad with 3m perfect-it then apply the final glaze and use the waffle pad. Be sure to apply a coat of wax after you buff with the compound and glaze. I use "Butter wax". Easy on easy off and a shine that kicks azz!!!

The Makita has variable speeds. Set it at 3 and let it be!

Stay off the crowns, it is easy to burn through the finish then you are screwed.

Never apply pressure! Just let the weight of the buffer do the work. Be sure to have a small screwdriver to clean the wool pad after each panel if you use it! Use the tip and push into the pad as it spins.

Have fun and take your time!

I usually just use a yellow or white foam pad with compound, then follow with a black pad with a glaze. I never got into the wool pads didn't like how they polished.

What are your guys feeling on orbitals? Are they good for anything at all? lol I know this isn't my thread but I thought I'd ask. I am going to need to wet sand and buff the rampage in spring so it's good stuff to know.

What are your guys feeling on orbitals? Are they good for anything at all? lol I know this isn't my thread but I thought I'd ask. I am going to need to wet sand and buff the rampage in spring so it's good stuff to know.

Garbage in my opinion. Waste of money and time. They are usually used for applying wax only.

Mike, I have 2 dewalts and 1 makita, both work well.

For pad I like wool for cutting, Foam just cuts to fast .
For polishing I like foam waffle pads, There are lots of choices, different colors usually do different things ei, Polishing, finishing etc.

Orbitals have there place. slow polishing and waxing. There are also some pretty prices dual head orbital polishers on the market that work real well.

-
Back