buffing wheel

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 6" buffing wheel to polish some of the chrome pieces on the scamp. I have a bench grinder. Can someone suggest what I would need for a wheel and compound?

You can purchase the felt wheels at any good-quality auto parts store or even Home Depot. Im not a rouge(stick) polishing guy so I use chrome polish with good results. To lessen the mess, pour polish lightly on the wheel while spinning with hand, rub it in and have your piece of chrome pushed up against wheel, hold tight and turn on grinder thus, bogging it down so all your polish doesnt fling off. Goggles, the will and common sense will turn you into a polishing sensation. Dont try polishing your X-BOX games or CD's unless your skeet-shooting. Or, get the right stick for a much safer job. Good luck.

I bought some wheels and stick rouge I will try that first. I see Curtis Waggin use that method while i was at his place and the part he did looked amazing. If I fail there I will drop back and punt and try another way.

I've had good luck with the 6" pads and sticks from H-D on all kinds of metal. If your just starting, read and try a few different compounds and you'll get a feel for what works for you. At first i just grabbed any thing metal i could find and played with it. It's actually pretty cool the results you'll come up with. I polished my 25 yr. old wedding band and it looked better then the day i bought it....lol.

I should add that keeping the wheel clean is most important. Just take a flat blade screwdriver to the wheel every now and then and you'll be good.

if your doing small molding and such be careful, use leather gloves to hold the material and wear eye protection. that stuff can rip out of your hands in a hurry.

I've had good luck with the 6" pads and sticks from H-D on all kinds of metal. If your just starting, read and try a few different compounds and you'll get a feel for what works for you. At first i just grabbed any thing metal i could find and played with it. It's actually pretty cool the results you'll come up with. I polished my 25 yr. old wedding band and it looked better then the day i bought it....lol.

I should add that keeping the wheel clean is most important. Just take a flat blade screwdriver to the wheel every now and then and you'll be good.

I should add to this that if your doing true chrome you have to be really careful not to burn thru it. If it's stainless, which most trim is, it'll be alot more forgiving.

Yeah just the trim that was on the scamp. most of it is decent but like any 35+ year old car it needs some attention so I figured polishing it would be beneficial.

Yeah just the trim that was on the scamp. most of it is decent but like any 35+ year old car it needs some attention so I figured polishing it would be beneficial.
I agree you can make it much better. If you feel like you need to practice just take a piece of brass or silver from the house or even a piece of copper pipe and try a few spots. I'm sure you'll pick it up real quick.

Also, you'd be far better off at much lower speed than a typical modern direct drive bench grinder. Look around your Craigslist, etc, garage sales, for a half wore out old belt drive, homemade setup with what many call an "arbor" similar to this:

With a junker 1725 motor instead of the 3450 RPM on a direct drive, and playing a little with pulley size you can slow it way down. Sometimes you can put the pulley on the side to get room for a larger one if you only need one wheel

5N55G55Mb3E63I13J7c5s9f77e8f5a1d71982.jpg

567335612_tp.jpg

But for that big stuff....................

5K55Ff5J63Gf3Ib3Hfc5cfd2208c455c91280.jpg

-
Back