Build Cost

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear about some builds and the cost between a /6 and a 318. Nothing fancy but a good build that can take out a ricer. No turbo's,Superchargers just a good old fashion cost comparison.

I am a big fan of the slant 6 but dollar for dollar I think the 318 will out power the slant.
Did what I call a high school rebuild(rings+bearings) on a 318 using a Edelbrock kit.Carb,intake,cam,lifters valve springs and some cheap summit headers,dual exhaust all in a 80 Volare' wagon.In full street trim the thing ran 15.30's all day at the track.Cost was a little over $800 bucks.About the same amount was spent on a 67 Dart with a 225 and the times were 15.90's at the same track. Very close but the Volare' out weighed the Dart by almost 900 lbs. Again I love my slants but bang for the buck you just can't compare. In a normal asperated engine, cubic inches just may have the winning hand.
This is just for reference.

Considering a stock 318 is 230 HP and a slant struggles to see that naturally aspirated, I think we know the answer. However, the slant wins for different every time.

Dollar for dollar, on the engine only, the 318 will out perform the slant six. However if you have a slant six powered car, and are thinking of installing the 318 in place of the slant, then you have to figure the cost of the swap. Now it becomes more equal, as to dollars to power.
This also assumes you already have both engines.

Dollar for dollar, on the engine only, the 318 will out perform the slant six. However if you have a slant six powered car, and are thinking of installing the 318 in place of the slant, then you have to figure the cost of the swap. Now it becomes more equal, as to dollars to power.
This also assumes you already have both engines.

That is what I am thinking. Also with a / the gas mileage is better with a 2 or 4 bbl after a good rebuild?

Also is this the drop center link everyone talks about?

100_2506-600.jpg

slant 6, spend the money on the cylinder head to get the compression up, think about a super six intake or something to support a small 4 bbl, and free up the exhaust. of course a cam swap always helps. biggest thing , get yourself some good rearend gears like 3:55s or 3:91s. theres always the turbo option in which case you could get away with lower compression. the 318 you could get away without machine work,do a cam swap ,4bbl intake, headers, and again the biggie is rearend gears. obviously im a fan of the slant 6, and think of the embarrassment someone would feel to know they were just beat by one. this is just my opinion, i just think the slant 6 build would be more interesting to do. either way they are both great engines.

slant 6, spend the money on the cylinder head to get the compression up, think about a super six intake or something to support a small 4 bbl, and free up the exhaust. of course a cam swap always helps. biggest thing , get yourself some good rearend gears like 3:55s or 3:91s. theres always the turbo option in which case you could get away with lower compression. the 318 you could get away without machine work,do a cam swap ,4bbl intake, headers, and again the biggie is rearend gears. obviously im a fan of the slant 6, and think of the embarrassment someone would feel to know they were just beat by one. this is just my opinion, i just think the slant 6 build would be more interesting to do. either way they are both great engines.

I already have a super six set up on my / came with the car.

-
Back